BURNING UKE FESTIVAL - Ghent

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's a spontaneous rendition of Just A Closer Walk With Thee that Shelley Rickey and I recorded at the Burning Uke Festival in Belgium at the weekend.

thanks for sharing that with us ken, sounded lovely and that bass sounded good to. Was it a good festival ? I love Belgium,one of my favourite countries, tempted to visit the festival next year.
Once again many thanks for sharing really enjoyed watching and listening to your playing.

Ken, you were as always amazing, but man your friend Shelley can make the gut-bucket sing! Awesome video for sure

thanks for sharing that with us ken, sounded lovely and that bass sounded good to. Was it a good festival ? I love Belgium,one of my favourite countries, tempted to visit the festival next year.
Once again many thanks for sharing really enjoyed watching and listening to your playing.

Thank you. It is potentially a fantastic venue. It is an old disused dock, not far from the centre of the city. I hear that Ghent council are allowing houses to be built there though.

Ghent is very easy to get to, though the accommodation can be expensive. Unfortunately, the weather conspired against us: it was windy, wet and cold that day. Perhaps the event could have been advertised more, and maybe have a proper website.

Cool! What's the name of the instrument?

I was playing an Ohana TK-75CG and Shelley was playing an unbranded washtub. Her shop sells the string for it though.

Ken, you were as always amazing, but man your friend Shelley can make the gut-bucket sing! Awesome video for sure

Thank you. Yes, Shelley plays it very well. She and her partner Marko are, of course, a well-known duo called Uke Box. They are based in Rotterdam.

especially fine playing, Ken - this is really nice. I'm always amazed when I hear someone actually making music with a washtub bass - most folks sound like they're playing an untuned rubber band when they try.

especially fine playing, Ken - this is really nice. I'm always amazed when I hear someone actually making music with a washtub bass - most folks sound like they're playing an untuned rubber band when they try.

Thanks. I have to agree that Shelley (and Marko) plays the bass really well. And yes, some people don't.

Beautiful laid back vibe on a gorgeous song you two. Gee, I was wondering what had become of our extendable feather duster...now I know. :)

Top Bottom