Thoughts an prayers...

TCK

Reaction score
I have made a lot of friends here over the last nearly two years, and one of the best of them is Mr. Dirk Wormhoudt, the man who makes my strings.
Dirk is about the nicest guy in the world, he will do anything we ask of him to make our ukes sound better, and he is fun guy to talk too whenever, because man...what he knows about music...it would boggle the minds of most. What he knows about strings is even more amazing.
I figure most of us may not know old Dirk is 9th Ward Louisiana. He may strangle me for writing this, but he just finished rebuilding from Miss Katrina (not sure that is common knowledge), and 7 years to the day...here comes Isaac. No matter, The Cloverdale Kid...he speaks from the heart and inserts the foot often.
Now, I am not sure, but I figure that the pain of rebuilding comes from a tie to a musical heritage that cannot be denied for him...hell, I figure we are all tied to the plot of land we owe the bank for, but in the case of Mr. Dirk, it might go a little deeper. I could be wrong.
Bottom line, the fellow is my friend (and makes me awesome strings), and there are lots of really strong people...the strongest people in the world I figure, going through this all over again.
I hate to oblige, but could you all bow your heads for a minute for our fellow ukers...our fellow humans really, in Louisiana- the birth place of our American music, and send them your best wishes?
Love you guys...you know that. Mr. Dirk, I certainly hope all is well with you and yours and that Mr. Isaac is nothing like the last.
Bless you my friend-On my knees asking the higher power to send you nothing but sunshine.
The Cloverdale Kid and his lovely Wifey

Been praying for that area right along.....have some relatives in Bay St. Louis MS.

Great post Kid! Praying for Dirk W. and everyone in the Gulf Coast region tonight.

Aloha Dave,
Yes My prayers sent everything will be all right...Yes Dirk has the kindest geneous heart and shares so much of his aloha with us all here...his friendship means so much...Take Care Dirk and
all in the that area....

Last edited:
Bless up brothers and sisters. Miss Katrina taught us exactly how resilient the human condition is, and I have followed that daily for exactly 7 years. Beautiful people for certain down there. People that inspire me constantly to be stronger and better than I am. Not ashamed to admit I have been wiping away tears for all of them all day as the news comes in.
Phil, consider you and yours added to my docket.
Dave

All my best to Louisiana.

I agree 1000%. He's a wonderful guy who has been extremely kind in his responses to me regarding strings. He has also talked music and life. Solid gold.

His strings have been a revelation. I have his Cuatro strings on my baritone and they're opened up so many possibilities in terms of rhythm and lead playing.

And I have his classical metal strings on my Kanilea. They're beautiful in tone and feel. The tension is just like nylon but they're metal and they don't wear out.

I also have his various types of strings on all my other ukes. I like Aguila but Southcoast strings are best.

I'm not a religious person but I do wish the force is with Dirk. He deserves the best. He has suffered enough. Give him a hand and buy his strings and his ukes. Thank you for posting your sympathy.

Well put, fellow UU members. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this natural disaster................

Play a tune folks, tramp down old Isaac...
Bless you all, and all of yours.
Love this place-
Dave

Thanks for the reminder. I'll make sure I'll remember everyone down south.

I'll play a few extra New Orleans tunes on my uke to generate extra good vibes for everyone down NOLA way.

Thoughts and prayers for those in the path of Issac, have a few friends in that area as well...

Oh no! Haven't been reading the news in the past few days, didn't realise there was another hurricane coming their way. All my prayers to them.
New Orleans is probably one of the greatest cities in the world, can't believe they have to go through this again :( At least they seem better prepared this time, I hope things will go ok.

Thoughts are with those in the path of Isaac. Still remember Katrina, the images of the desperate at the Astrodome. Mary Chapin Carpenter has a haunting song titled "Houston" that gives voice to the plight of the dispossessed. I hope Dirk and all in the path come out well on the other side.

Heard this on the news last night and sent a cold shiver down my spine, those poor people, after what they faced after the last one, shows they are a strong band down there.
I am non religous, but sending love and what ever,positive karma , hope they make it through and it is at some of the ugliest times that we get to see a glimpse of the beauty and wonder of human nature, the spirit to get through and help others.
Hope it is not as bad as Katrina, will certainly play a few tunes to make those bad old winds change course. All the best from over the pond for our cousins in New Orleans.
best wishes.

Top Bottom