British Strumming

Ukulele&Me

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a 21 year old student from England.

I have been trying to teach myself to play the ukulele for about 3 weeks now, I am constantly improving which is great, but I want to be able to play great! I have always loved the ukulele and it's music, so have decided to go for it, even though i have no musical talent or knowledge. My favourite ukulele artist is Danielle Ate The Sandwich.

Not sure quite what else to write, so I look forward to chatting and getting to know you all better on here :)

hello mate and welcome aboard UU, a great bunch of talented and knowledgeable people on here and then there's me lol.
Go for it mate, you soon will have musical talent if you keep practising away on the mighty uke, it is truly a amazing instrument, I myself have only been playing since January 2011 with no musical knowledge or experience and I am a old git now 41.
So you have youth and vigour on your side, I personally would recommend joining a local uke club if you have one around or may start your own :). i really benefited from joining my local club, there is nothing better than playing a uke with a bunch of fellow uke lovers and you also pick up some helpful tips, and it is fun to do gigs to.
Anyway look forward to seeing you around the forum and feel free to ask any questions, not sure i personally will have the answers but there is a welath of knowledge and talent on here, anyway happy strummings mate.

Yep, one or two folks in Britain play the uke. I'm an old fart and I also like Danielle Ate the Sandwich. I wonder what the old "Earl" would have said about her.

Welcome to UU pal, where in the UK you from ?

My favourite ukulele artist is Danielle Ate The Sandwich

Cheers for that. First time I've seen her...instant fan.

Benvinguts (as we'd say to welcome you in Catalonia where I live. Thanks for the heads up on Danielle ate the Butty (I'm originally from Liverpool ;) - well worth exploring. You can hear all her output streamed at her website - nice.

BTW - You student, me teacher... I can't resist....

YOU SAID: "I have always loved the ukulele and it's music"

If you mean the music of the ukulele, you need to use "its" - no apostrophe. "It's" with an apostrophe is short for "It is" or "It has". Lyrical examples: "It's sure been a long cold winter!" (has) "It's not unusual!" (is) - "Like a dog with with its bone" (possession) . Teacher's hat off now. What are you studying BTW?

thought this was a ukulele forum not an english class, must be on the wrong site lol

Hey,
I've been playing just over three months now and this forum has been invaluable. I second or third the suggestion of joining a local club if you can find one.
Enjoy!

Ben

I agree with everybody else,find a local group if you can.I tried to teach myself by watching videos,but it was only after finding a Ukulele group locally that my playing took off.Just to have somebody sat next to you to point you in the right direction really helps.I took up the Ukulele aged 40(i hope it's not my mid-life crisis,i wanted a sports car!),with no musical experience apart from playing the Tuba for 2 years when i was at school!
Stick with it,it's a happy little instrument,and before you know it you'll have a collection of them.

Andy

And how come none of us had heard of Danielle ate the sandwich,she's great,cheers for the heads up.:D

acripvo wycliffe

Think i will have to watch my grammer while Barbablanca is around lol, but it never was my strong point at school or even now.

I live in Somerset and i am studying L3 Fishery Management/Husbandry, I am starting my second year on Friday, then that is the course finished, but i am undecided about going to university.

There is a local ukulele club in my town, and i want to join, but like i said, i literally have no musical talent, im still learning chords and trying to find the strumming patterns to songs is really hard, as none of the chordsheets online tell you how to strum with each song. So i really want to join the club, but im afraid i will look stupid or slow them down, or just sound awfull because i don't know what i am doing. So do you guys think i should wait and practice more, or just show up ?

I am glad you all like Danielle Ate the Sandwich :D, and thankyou all for such a big warm welcome, i never expected so many replies to this thread, but they have definitely made me feel welcomed.

Just get down to your local uke club. Don't worry about your lack of knowlege. You will learn much faster if you go to a group. I learnt from a book on my own but gained a much quicker grasp of chords and songs when I went to my local club. You can't keep me away now.

yep just get down to your local club, take the plunge, it is the fear of the unknown, and you will be fine, they are a warm and helpful breed the ukulele player, dont panic about strum patterns, start with songs you know, and just strum, you will get a feel for the song, and if thee is a song you like just youtube it so you get the idea of the tune and just play it and if it feels good for you then you are doing ok, seriously though get down to the uke club, is your local one Tusc, if so you are a lucky man they have legendary status, let us know how you get on, all the best from me.

yep just get down to your local club, take the plunge, it is the fear of the unknown, and you will be fine, they are a warm and helpful breed the ukulele player, dont panic about strum patterns, start with songs you know, and just strum, you will get a feel for the song, and if thee is a song you like just youtube it so you get the idea of the tune and just play it and if it feels good for you then you are doing ok, seriously though get down to the uke club, is your local one Tusc, if so you are a lucky man they have legendary status, let us know how you get on, all the best from me.

Thanks for the advice Dave, and yes my local club is TUSC, that was started by Nipper, I have seen alot of videos and read alot of things about them, they seem to be a great club, so i do think myself lucky for them to be in the same town as me. They get together on Monday's so i think i'm going to try and build up the confidence to go tomorrow and just have a laugh and try my best. Most probally a few pints in the pub before hand!

Thanks for the advice Dave, and yes my local club is TUSC, that was started by Nipper, I have seen alot of videos and read alot of things about them, they seem to be a great club, so i do think myself lucky for them to be in the same town as me. They get together on Monday's so i think i'm going to try and build up the confidence to go tomorrow and just have a laugh and try my best. Most probally a few pints in the pub before hand!

Wow you lucky thing, definitely go, you will have a great time HONEST, i was nervous the first time i went to my local club, but so glad i did, that was last june, i vowed never to sing, at the last 2 gigs i have done a song all on my own, admittedly i was shaking as i was playing but it was good fun, seriously you will be fine, and from what i have seen they are a great bunch at Tusc. you will be fine, i expect a report on how you got on tomorrow night lol :)
have fun if i can help with my limited knowledge, feel free to ask, all the best from me :)

Wow you lucky thing, definitely go, you will have a great time HONEST, i was nervous the first time i went to my local club, but so glad i did, that was last june, i vowed never to sing, at the last 2 gigs i have done a song all on my own, admittedly i was shaking as i was playing but it was good fun, seriously you will be fine, and from what i have seen they are a great bunch at Tusc. you will be fine, i expect a report on how you got on tomorrow night lol :)
have fun if i can help with my limited knowledge, feel free to ask, all the best from me :)

Well done for performing on your own, that is something i would love to do but, i truely cannot sing, but once i get better on the uke and more confident, i may give it a go. If i can get to the club tomorrow night, i will let you know how it goes mate.

Also if any moderator reads this, can you please tell me why my signature picture wont appear and why i cannot use BB codes ? as i see other members can use them.

Top Bottom