Any tips on buying a Charango?

TCK

Reaction score
I know this ought to be in other instruments, but know one would see it and I figure they are pretty darn close.
Totally unknown instrument to me, but I really like the way they sound. Looking for a reputable US dealer that won't tourist trap me. Like to spend under $300 if possible
Thanks in advance

This is probably a good place to start. Make sure you get one from a known, respected luthier. Good ones have quality materials, bone nut and saddle, quality tuners, etc.....just like buying a good uke.

http://worldfrets.com/charango.html

You could also just get an Ohana Tiple

I don't know his current prices, and he's not in the US, but I do recommend Pablo Kiernan.
He built my ukulele. The woods as well as his craftmanship are excellent.
And you can probably get a good deal by paying in dollars, thanks to the current restrictions the argentinian government has placed on imports and acquisition of foreign currency.

You can use the contact form on his page or email him at luthierkiernan (at) gmail (dot) com

At the Oregon State Fair, there is always a group from South America who has a booth. Last year we were talking about charangos. Shortly after they left, I had a chance to buy one from a deceased woman's estate. Friday, it went to the OSF with me. Three of the four fellows play charango. Because they all play with amplification,they said it would not work for their purposes, but for an acoustic group it would be quite adequate. They were up and down the neck wildly strumming as well as playing melodic single and multiple string solo work.. If you would be interested in seeing pictures of it, contact me please at thecraftedcow@comcast.net . I have yet to learn how to post pictures on this site. Price? $85.00 Their estimated selling price? $100 to $125. I was going to rehole the bridge to be 2-3-3-2 as a mini tiple, but I already have a Martin and a Yasuma, so it needs to be rehomed.

My only advice is to stay away from one of the armadillo shell models, unless it is 100% guaranteed leprosy-free.

Even then, would you trust that guarantee?

-Kurt​

Thanks for the replies folks- Kurt, strictly wood for this fellow ;) Instruments made from dead animals...NOPE! Chuck Testa.
CraftedCow- you've got mail.
Fermin- Are we talking about the Uke you play in your videos?

Hey, TCK. I don't know anything about charangos either, but this guy's shop is right down the street from my house. I haven't been there in years, but I'd remembered seeing a bunch of weird instruments there, and sure enough it looks like he has charangos for days. Joe Tadaro seems like a nice enough guy, and I've heard him mentioned on here before, here and there. Good luck. If you need any info or anything regarding these, lemme know and I can ask him.

EDIT: DOH! Just saw Phil's post. Whoops. I actually read all the posts too, but missed his link.

Last edited:
So.. All the heads on your banjo ukes are synthetic? And none of the accordions are old enough to have ivory keys?

Just kidding you, Dave.

(Speaking of animal items, I've got photos of my 4 ribbon-winning skeins on my Ravelry page. And my wife got a first, 3-seconds,2- thirds, and a fourth for her knitted entries. Not bad for our first entries at a county fair...)

Thanks for the replies folks- Kurt, strictly wood for this fellow ;) Instruments made from dead animals...NOPE! Chuck Testa.
CraftedCow- you've got mail.

-Kurt​

Yes, that one. Although I wouldn't decide based on those videos, they were recorded with the laptop's crappy built in microphone, and I had it strung with classical guitar strings that I don't think were the best choice I could have made (I happen to be restringing it now as I check the forum, with the only string set for a soprano I could find in the country :S If you send me $300 worth of strings I'll handpick a good charango and send it to you! :p).

Lol Kurt, even my 1903 accordion has wood and celluloid keys (weight is a factor), but you are right, all the banjos but one are skin, and their is a drum with a fish skin head laying around.
Good on ya at the fair-what a haul!
So.. All the heads on your banjo ukes are synthetic? And none of the accordions are old enough to have ivory keys?

Just kidding you, Dave.

(Speaking of animal items, I've got photos of my 4 ribbon-winning skeins on my Ravelry page. And my wife got a first, 3-seconds,2- thirds, and a fourth for her knitted entries. Not bad for our first entries at a county fair...)

-Kurt​

100 dolla charango

Each charango is differnet. i have purchased 3 different charangos all in south america. the most expensive one which had electro acoustic ended up warping and actually shrunk in size after i brought it home, that was roughly 200$ which was like 650 soles maybe a lil more. I got it at a dealer in downtown lima miriflores. the other two were obtainied in the village of pisaq peru, were both the equivilent of 100 american and were finly crafted...been playing it for 7 years off and on and has been a dream....always try and play an instrument before you buy it,,,but if you can get one online for 100 bone$ it could be worth the risk......

I've noticed these are hard to buy online as well. For the most part there is no need to pay over $300 to get a good one. More than that and you are essentially paying for the carving and inlays.

The few local music stores in the U.S. seem to charge at least a $100 premium over what you could get them for otherwise. At least you can ask questions (and play them if they are local to you).

Anything from ebay or other auction sites, you just don't know. They may be fine but little info is given and for the most part the "companies" selling them don't know anything about charangos. The main concern is that the neck with bow and twist.

Trying to find an online site directly from the builders in Bolivia is difficult. You can sometimes find one but I've yet to get my inquires answered or responded to at all.

Under the right circumstances you will/should be able to get a good one for $150 plus soft case and shipping that way.

Therefore, if one could get more info/have more confidence using ebay for charangos this could work (or not).

The main thing to look for is no armadillo shell, properly dried and constructed wood that isn't going to twist and a neck with low action (and a bridge with a saddle). I would prefer a regular nut rather than a zero fret but if the rest of the instrument is made well I could live with a zero fret.

Last edited:
This is probably a good place to start. Make sure you get one from a known, respected luthier. Good ones have quality materials, bone nut and saddle, quality tuners, etc.....just like buying a good uke.

You could also just get an Ohana Tiple
+1 on Joe's shop. He has a connection with Bolivian luthiers. I bought one from him at the Philadelphia guitar show years ago. He included a nice cloth case and strings and even an instruction book.

After a few years tho the frets did settle in and I needed to file down the ends. I assume that has to do with the difference in humidity conditions here vs. the Andes.

Charangos are headstock heavy esp if they have geared tuners. Also the fretboard is wide for ten strings.

Do not buy from luthierkiernan

I BOUGHT A CHARANGO, HAD TO PAY VIA WESTERN UNION AND THEN NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN! Unless you insist on payment after receiving the charango I wouldn’t do it.

I don't know his current prices, and he's not in the US, but I do recommend Pablo Kiernan.
And you can probably get a good deal by paying in dollars, thanks to the current restrictions the argentinian government has placed on imports and acquisition of foreign currency.

You can use the contact form on his page or email him at luthierkiernan (at) gmail (dot) com

I do not recommend pablo kiernan

i don't know his current prices, and he's not in the us, but i do recommend pablo kiernan.

this man scammed me out of a charango. I sent him money to build me one and then never heard back from him again. He never returned any of my attempts to contact him.

Top Bottom