Song Help Request Help with converting piano music to ukulele tab

filipinouker

Reaction score
Does anybody here know how to convert piano music to ukulele tab?

As i child, i used to play a duet piece on the piano called The Band Played On by Charles Ward. I would so love to play it on my ukulele (plucking, not strumming).

Here's how it sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqlC3UIuJ1Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I've found the piano music sheet (for both the treble clef and bass clef) --- if anybody here has the skills to convert it to ukulele tab (high-g), arranged to be played in "classical ukulele style", i would be the happiest woman on earth ;)

I'd be happy to contribute something towards the work.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

I just hammered out a simple arrangement over some coffee. It will probably take me a few days to have the time to get it on paper. (I will put it in tab and standard notation for you.) I put it in the key of G Major, so it is all in first position - since I am assuming that you don't normally work up the fretboard that often. If that assumption is incorrect, we can snaz it up a bit after I get the simple version written up.

Sorry that I cannot get it to you sooner, but I am swamped with Real Life, at the moment.

Hello there Wicked! (feels strange calling you 'wicked' :D ) Thank you for responding.

It will probably take me a few days to have the time to get it on paper (I will put it in tab and standard notation for you) I put it in the key of G Major, so it is all in first position - since I am assuming that you don't normally work up the fretboard that often. If that assumption is incorrect, we can snaz it up a bit after I get the simple version written up.

I use tab and, YES, I am able to work up the fretboard :D For example, some of the pieces I play by Carulli, Carcassi & Sor use everything from the 1st fret to about the 7th fret; occasionally I have tried going up the 10th-12th fret, but I tend to struggle with that!

So, YES PLEASE, I look forward to receiving and playing the uke tabs for this piece. Is it important for me to say that I have a concert uke, tuned to GCEA (high-G) ?

Do you need the music sheets? How do I send them to you? I'll see if I can send you a private message here or if I can upload two .jpg files.

Sorry that I cannot get it to you sooner, but I am swamped with Real Life, at the moment.

no need to say sorry!!! I am very grateful for your response and for your willingness to help.

SO EXCITED! Thanks again, Wicked :)

Attachments

• Ward Charles - The Band Played On (primo).jpg
    Ward Charles - The Band Played On (primo).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 25

Seeso!!! I got the tabs!!! That was lightning-fast work --- very impressive. HUGE HUGS! It's nearly 1am here in the UK and I'm too overjoyed & too excited to sleep!

I can play both Uke 1 and Uke 2 tabs, no problems. Uke 1 is very easy to play, but I need to practice uke 2, for smoother chord changes.

Trouble is, i have NO ONE with whom to play the whole piece :(

Is there an easy way to merge the two parts to make it a solo uke piece? I so hope so! Can you work on it?

And.......... Do you want me to contribute something towards your work?

I really am so grateful ! Thank you.

That's why Seeso is "Super Duper." My arrangement is for a solo uke... it's in the works.

That's why Seeso is "Super Duper." My arrangement is for a solo uke... it's in the works.

Hi Wicked! I did notice the title super duper moderator and had the strong urge to address him as Sir Seeso :D He was impressively quick, and the tabs he produced were ACE. Now I'm looking for a uke partner to play the duet with! I look forward to your solo arrangement. Should be interesting to see different interpretations of The Band Played On!

Here my tab.
Nice melody. I like parlour music.
View attachment 42672

Hello Ondrej ! How kind of you! I've just printed off your tab and I will give it a go tonight. Should be interesting to try different interpretations of The Band Played On! Yes, it is such a lovely melody. THANK YOU for your work and contribution !

I got the basic arrangement on paper, and uploaded it here:

http://files.meetup.com/1634379/The Band Played On.pdf

I actually play it with more embelishments, but I kept the tab simple (although I did take some melodic liberties with the final few measures.) I arranged it so that you can let the chords ring while you pluck the melody notes.

Think of it as a guide, and let yourself go.

I got the basic arrangement on paper, and uploaded it here:

http://files.meetup.com/1634379/The Band Played On.pdf

I actually play it with more embelishments, but I kept the tab simple (although I did take some melodic liberties with the final few measures.) I arranged it so that you can let the chords ring while you pluck the melody notes.

Think of it as a guide, and let yourself go.

Hi again Wicked- that's wicked! ;) Thanks for the tip about letting the chords ring while plucking the melody. I'll have a go and I'll bet I'll enjoy your arrangement. :cheers:

Okay, I've posted my version for solo ukulele:

https://www.box.com/s/7fvzdx7m9vl3g3pmsom0

Here's an mp3 so you can hear what it sounds like:

https://www.box.com/s/fobe1e9kzz0a1cv6culf

Hello Seeso . I didn't expect you to work on the solo version so quickly, with a bonus mp3, after your produced the 2-part version yesterday. You should be nicknamed Speedy :) I am so grateful for your generosity. BTW, I listened to "Thank You For Leaving Me" and it is lush! Can't get it out of my head now! :cool:

feels like Christmas!

:bowdown: To the lovely folk who responded so generously to my request (to create a tab version for "The Band Played On") ---

You've made me feel like it's Christmas !!! :smileybounce:
I've printed off all your tabs and guess what I'll be doing all Saturday ;)

Guys, you're fab. Thank you for your generosity with your skills.

Take care and have a good weekend...

HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!

Holy smokes arpie! This is gold!

Yeehaa! Glad you like it Neil!! I think it is wonderful! I'm telling EVERYBODY (including my uke group!)

I can read/play piano (from 60 years ago) - but I can't 'play TAB' from piano notation! Really Weird! I have some sort of mental block - so this is terrific. James Hill (for example) writes his Ukulele Orchestra stuff in piano notation ..... so now I can transfer it to uke TAB, easily!!

You can even download various 'Fake Books' that only give the Melody Line in piano notation - and now turn it into TAB!!

You can click on the 'Uke' tab there as well .... for those who don't play piano, who 'noodle' with TAB but don't know how to 'write it' ......

If you sign up, I think there are more options too. WIN!!

Top Bottom