30th season of the ukulele: Theme - gardens

Contrats everyone, and great contest, Rob. That video is a crack-up, talk about a Heath Robinson contraption!

Congrats to the winner and Rob, you are one funny dude and have amazing video skills. That background laser, gameshow music was perfect and I never wanted to get seeds so badly in my life! LOL

Thanks

That was some top notch hosting Rob, thanks for a great week. Your moment of sincerity at the end was a great counterpoint to your crackpot game show host persona. Congrats to the seed recipients too!

Well that was a surprise fancy winning on a spin of the wheel!

Oh! he did like the ladies, the rise and the fall
Of their ankles and dresses down on the dance hall,
And rolling the dice and spinning the wheeeeeeeeeeeeel
But he took most delight in the slip jigs and reels.

Definitely a fun week and those outside videos brought out something different in all the performers.

Well done, Rob and many thanks hosting the week.

Oh! he did like the ladies, the rise and the fall
Of their ankles and dresses down on the dance hall,
And rolling the dice and spinning the wheeeeeeeeeeeeel
But he took most delight in the slip jigs and reels.
Oddly enough, I have the dots and chords for this one, in a book of Fairport Convention music.

Thanks, Ginny. I was hoping for moody and spooky, which I think worked out alright.... I was a little disappointed it turned out so grainy and and the exposure goes to almost pitch black near the end.... all in all, though, pretty good for a camera that cost less than $90..... it was pretty dark out there under the trees......

About murder ballads - Tootler Geoff could probably answer this a lot better than I can. Most of the tunes like this I know (and yes, there are lots of them) come from a sub-genre of the European ballad tradition and migrated over to the States with the Scots and the Irish, surviving and adapting here in music of the Appalachians. I think this particular tune is thought to be of Irish origin. I've never seen a murder ballad songbook, though I'm sure they exist. I learn the tunes from old recordings, which themselves are usually based on traditional tunes handed down over the centuries. It's an interesting group of tunes - they tend to be pretty formulaic, but are usually very pretty.

That was nicely done, skidoo. (keep forgetting your real name). The song certainly sounds as if it could have originated in Ireland, though you often find that ballads origins are not always what they seem. It also sounds as if it's been modified in America as there are turns of phrase which sound American, which again is common.

I suspect it's unlikely you will find a book devoted entirely to murder ballads, but you do find ballad books and murder is a common theme in traditional ballads with the murderer sometimes getting his (or her) comeuppance and sometimes getting away with it. Even though ballads are formulaic in their structure, they are often very compelling with stories that keep you on edge to the end.

What a great Season! Loved seeing everyone playing outside. Thanks for hosting Rob. And congrats to all the winners- may your gardens grow and produce abundantly! Enjoy the parsnips and carrots and don't forget to sucker the tomatoes~:)

Rob thanks so much for a wonderful week of ukuleles and fresh air!

What a superb host you are brother. Incredibly generous, in depth, insightful and good humoured comments of support and encouragement from the get-go, and an over the top results production to round it out as only you could do. Thankyou! As we say in Tassie, you're a legend mate. :)

Thanks to everyone who have been so gracious with the compliments regarding the 30th season.
The host usually has to throw in a song at the end to round up the proceedings, and the only song
I have recorded is Down by yon Sally gardens/Rambling boys of pleasure which states

Sure I wish I was in Glasgow town, and my true love along with me.
With money in my pocket to keep us in good company.

and that I think is the whole ethos of the seasons... good company with people you like... if not love.

Excellent song.
Excellent season.
Thank you.

And congratulations to the winners.

IMG_0669.jpg

This has nothing to do with the ukulele, but today I saw the first one-ton pumpkin ever grown, and I thought I would share that with you.

Thanks to everyone who have been so gracious with the compliments regarding the 30th season.
The host usually has to throw in a song at the end to round up the proceedings, and the only song
I have recorded is Down by yon Sally gardens/Rambling boys of pleasure which states

Sure I wish I was in Glasgow town, and my true love along with me.
With money in my pocket to keep us in good company.

and that I think is the whole ethos of the seasons... good company with people you like... if not love.

Beautifully sung, Rob.

Top Bottom