"The One"

Nice Uke, But I saw a Ko'olau arch top and back for more than 7500 at HMS...not even sure they even advertise it...

I saw that there. It's beautiful. I don't know about 7.5K beautiful, but to someone it will be.

Have you found it? The uke that puts your UAS on hold? The "holy grail"?

What's yours?

Had it. Will get another one at some point. Ah, well ...

I think, as janeray1940 said, that our concept of "the One" changes as we improve and our tastes change. I adore my soprano DaSilva, and for the last year I've thought of it as "the One"; however, I recently started performing in public and, in doing so, realized I wanted a few features that were lacking in my soprano (a pickup, more volume, more clarity in the higher range). And now I have a concert custom on the way. ;) So I busted my own myth that I had found my one and only.

Maybe, sometimes anyway, the Holy Grail and The One are not one and the same.

I got my Holy Grail on the first try (well, actually, after a number of failed auction bids). But there are also concerts, tenors, low-g, maybe electric ...

On second thought, I guess I definitely believe in Holy Grails, but not in The One.

I've been searching for 53 years. First with the guitar then bass, 5 string banjo and now uke. It's the action, intonation and feel of the neck for me. I found it pretty much on my Breedlove CM (first one made) with a radiused neck. I've gone thru several ukes and feel I've found it on my last Griffin (the Patrick)Brian made for me. The low action, ebony radiused fretboard and spot on intonation has spoiled me and makes me feel blessed. The 2400 yr. old western cedar top, master grade Koa with old growth hand shaped Honduran Mahogany neck, ebony fretboard, Southcoast strings, finished off by weeks and weeks of French Polishing just adds that special touch I've been searching for.

My continual search for the perfect neck is still ongoing but so far this is it by far.

Last edited:
Which ukulele is the one would depend on what I'm playing. It seems that I have not found the one but instead have found the many.

:agree: with this so much. I have eight Ukuleles, and each one is the "one" for different reasons. If I found a way to combine all eight, well seven really because Astrid doesn't get played due to a buzz, well not much anyway, then I probably would find the "one". My UAS is controlled very well, I know what I want for #9 & #10 and plan to end at 10, but money is tight, food is more important and so I just can't afford to buy those yet, but I am saving for them..slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!

I'm hoping my MM turns out to be the one uke to rule them all. That doesn't mean my ukulele acquiring habit will cease. I'm already looking at super sopranos while my savings gets replenished.

Last edited:
My KoAloha Pikkake Soprano is definitely 'The One' when it comes to soprano's, I am awaiting a custom tenor with Brad Donaldson hopefully that will be 'The One' tenor then I only need to get 'The One' Concert and I will feel complete........I think

My Tanglewood concert sounds so gorgeous, I haven't yet heard a concert uke that compares, so I'm not in the market for another - and I'm in love with my new Kiwaya soprano .... I don't favour tenors, but might EVENTUALLY try a baritone. Not for ages though. However, there's a vintage banjo-uke that just might become mine next week..... and if I get it, there won't be any more unless someone buys me a Ludwig!

The second ukulele I bought (Koaloha Concert) was so great, I started buying all kinds of them. Kept selling them off. Now I realize I had the one I wanted almost from the start.

I am feeling the same way about mine. However, that doesn't stop me from dreaming of a MM of my very own!

lol....all of mine are the "one"!!!!

I'm gonna say it: Lady (my Flea) is The One. And not just The One, but must have low G. No reentrant stuff for this tenor.
I can only speak of what's true right now... As in, I want the hibiscus flower soundhole Flea with a walnut soundboard. But She will not allow it, because then She would be The First, not The One. I've tried explaining that fleas typically multiply, but Lady's not buying it. <3

Well my ONE would be a nice Martin 5K (as a collector anyway) but since that is a pipe dream I'll say there is no ONE for me. Each ukulele I own evokes certain feelings for me. Some less than others true but each one has some meaning. Most have been gifts from others or even to myself so that is important too. For example my UA10 was a gift from my now fiancee because when I broke up with an ex she stole my UAE20. So that was a very unexpected and kind gift. On the other hand I recently got my UAE20 back! So that ukulele is like the lost sheep coming back to pasture. My black Bruko was a gift from a friend and it now has a certain mojo to it that can never be replaced. My Fluke was a gift from my father to get me past a cheap Hilo and onto a real musical path. My S1 was a gift to myself because I had a very difficult challenge I wasn't sure I'd be able to face and I did. Victory uke, Yatta! The funny thing is that same ex who took my UAE20 also gave me my Flea which sits broken in my study. The bridge popped off. I thought of sending it to have it fixed at the factory (they were very kind speaking to me and were happy to help). It is a very easy fix I could do myself. But I've decided to leave it as is for a while as a reminder of a bad and broken relationship and how destructive it can be. I am clearly a very sentimental person and also a very lucky person to have people who have given me such nice gifts. How could I pick the ONE?

Last edited:
I had a bad case of UAS But......Moore Bettah cured me! Haven't even thought about getting another uke since it's arrival. Almost even sold my back up. UAS can be cured with a MB! haha

Yep. My custom tenor from KoAloha is the holy grail. You'll see it at UWC.

Top Bottom