Took in an orphan

Reichpapers

Reaction score
I bought this Ukulele on eBay recently. I wanted to have one old fixer up brought back to life. I haven't been able to find any info on the Du Barry name. It's currently at a local guitar repair shop. It had two cracks in the front, one hairline, one bigger. The top was slightly seperating in the rear top. There is a hairline crack in the back center. The bridge is lifting off the top. The nut popped off when I removed the old string. I'm just happy it was still attached to the Uke. I'm putting some Aquilas on it when it's back from the doctor. I'll post pics after she's fixed.

Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Head.jpg
Side.jpg

Last edited:
Nuts/saddles are often (usually?) not glued in, just held in place by the string tension. This makes them way easier to replace or adjust.

Thanks for the info. I mentioned this to the repairman..if he finds traces of glue, he'll glue it, if not he'll leave it loose.

I'm digging deep to bring this post back, as I have gathered some new info. I posted it on my old account. I have asked many sources and they never heard of it. After years of searching I have been given some info by a knowledgeable gentleman concerning the DuBarry name:

Du Barry was a chain of North Western Music shops certainly until the beginning of the 1930's The headquarters was in Seattle but they had branches as far east as Montana. They were also suppose to make pianos though I've not seen one, (though I haven't looked that hard). Part of their business was as a distributor of Wurlitzer musical instruments including Ukuleles and while I am not 100% I would say this was supplied to them by Wurlitzer but having their name on it instead of Wurlitzer. This sort of branding was fairly common at the time and Wurlitzer was a distributor who used a lot of different makers and usually but not always got their name stamped on the headstock in a similar manner Not sure of the actual maker either but my best guess is its one of the top end Oscar Schmidts (the original Oscar Schmidt).

The bridge is old, I doubt it was replaced. With the accumulation of grime and dust, I can't see where it was reglued. It does look crooked to me too. Is there any instances where this would have been done on purpose? I'd hate to think QC was lapse. A few more pics:

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Thanks for the new pictures, the Bridge is as old as the ukulele and the tuners are very unique. The only reason the bridge would be tilted is to compensate, but that looks like overkill. String it up and see how the intonation is. Or have the Doc check it out.

Top Bottom