Questions on buying/selling in Marketplace

Tailgate

Reaction score
I've read the FAQ and rules and have done some forum search, but am wondering how transactions are usually conducted? Is Paypal the primary payment system to a seller from a buyer? I've sold a couple of things on Ebay but am by no means familiar how it all works. It was basically 'sell', 'get notified by PP' and 'ship'.

So, if I sold something to a UU member and accepted Paypal, do I send a Paypal invoice or something? I know I will have to check out the Paypal rules and procedures, but I'm hoping for some basic info from people who can point me in the right direction..

Thanks in advance for any help....

fyi, I'm considering selling or trading a Taylor GS Mini guitar that I just bought.. since I can't put down the Ukes to find my 'guitar' inspiration, I might just sell it or trade it for a baritone Uke...

You could send a PayPal invoice to your buyer, or the buyer could use the "Send Money" tab and use your PayPal email to send you the money.

–Lori

So, if I sold something to a UU member and accepted Paypal, do I send a Paypal invoice or something? I know I will have to check out the Paypal rules and procedures, but I'm hoping for some basic info from people who can point me in the right direction..
What Lori said. It's really simple. :)

And I know you are talking about being the seller in this situation, but want to add that from a buyer's perspective it is not wise to mark the payment as a "gift." Sellers often request it so they won't have to pay the fees (~3%). But if a buyer does this, they will have zero recourse thru Paypal if anything goes wrong.

It is also against PP's TOS to charge the buyer extra for the fees, similar to how a merchant cannot charge the customer extra for using a credit card just because the merchant has to pay the cc fee. They often get around this by offering a discount for paying by cash/check.

Bravo TailGate! It is refreshing to see someone actually reading the rules of the Marketplace before they attemt to sell something here. The rules are in place to protect both the buyer and seller. As someone who has bought and sold a few ukes here, I would agree with what both Lori and itsme had said before about using paypal. Some buyers would like to get an invoice from the seller but most are fine with using the "send money" tab.

You could send a PayPal invoice to your buyer, or the buyer could use the "Send Money" tab and use your PayPal email to send you the money.

–Lori

thanks Lori... btw, I bought your leash and love it! Use it on 3 of my ukes...

When I bought something from someone on UU, I sent a check.

Yes, I have used PayPal, but my credit union has a BillPay option that can cut a check to anyone, and send it anywhere at no cost to the sender or receiver.

Top Bottom