Fluke talk...

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anyone have a fluke in both tenor and concert that I could see the difference in size (neck length)side by side..
I have played a tenor and it's a bit long for me wondering the difference with the concert neck.
THanks...

Carrie, here is a pic of my Concert flea and my Tenor Fluke (both seconds can you believe it? specially the pineapple.. the fading on the surf is a bit noticeable but it goes with the surf\sun fading motif. the pineapple looks great. Again on this one the defect was a bit of fading by the leaves which looks completely natural like a real pineapple.

Anyway, teh main difference is 15 to 17 frets and maybe a bit more than an inch?

I use re-entrant worth browns on the soprano and Seacoast low g on the fluke. I think the concert neck is perfect for the flea, just like tenor to the fluke. I think the concert neck on a fluke makes it look a bit short.

I was a bit lazy but am glad I took a pic to upload. here are my babies... they are both 2nds, the exact patterns I wanted, both rosweood necks and pegheds. :shaka:

Hope this helps.... (do what I did. buy one of each muahahaha! :rock: )

FLeas.jpg

Last edited:
I do love my Flukes. Tenor on the left, concert on the right. Sonically they are practically identical.
2012-09-17_14-52-31_452.jpg

Thanks Ivan and Revwill. That's just what I wanted to see. I have played a tenor and it is a bit big (long for me) I think that the few inches length differenc might make it more comfortable to play..
Apreciate the time you both took to post photos..
Carrie

May I just interject here to say I love my concert Fluke I've owned for 12 years, but I offer one caveat.

The way the wood top is set into the plastic body, the wood is recessed a bit, and the plastic edges project beyond the wood.
They feel a little sharp and square to me, not comfortably rounded.

It was uncomfortable for me as I rested my inner right on the edge in strumming position.
I always had a red mark after playing where the plastic edge dug into my skin.

Since there was no way I was going to put on a long-sleeved shirt every time I wanted to play my Fluke, my solution was to hot-glue a flag patch wrapped around the of the top of the uke, centered under the bridge, where my arm rests.
Problem solved.

Fitncrafty, you say you have played Flukes, if you didn't notice this, you should be fine.

I might be in the market for a new uke (aren't we all?), and I'm curious about the Fluke. What in particular draws so many people to this instrument? Is it the design? The sound? The wood? The price?

I might be in the market for a new uke (aren't we all?), and I'm curious about the Fluke. What in particular draws so many people to this instrument? Is it the design? The sound? The wood? The price?

It has a very nice sound for the price. The plastic bowl back of it makes it nice and loud, which is often a problem with ukes. And it's durable -- it makes for a great travel uke, that I can put in its gig bag and throw in the trunk for any car trip I take. The plastic fretboard has a very good and predictable intonation, so you don't have to worry about having your music store set it up for you before you can play it.

Tone and durability are the two factors that had the largest impact in my purchase decision.

Those are really nice looking ukes. What are the patterns called?

Thank you! I love, love, love the looks of my Flukes.

The one on the left started life as an ordinary natural Fluke (Tenor neck, rosewood, Fishman installed at factory) and my brother made me a vinyl sticker of a West African Adinkra symbol called Gye Nyame.

The one on the right is the Kente fluke available at FMM.

As far as "why Fluke?" - I'd have to say first and foremost it's the tone. They have a wonderful, if unique tone with plenty of volume. They mic and record very well, and blend great with singing. The intonation is spot-on. They're durable as heck. The flat bottom means you'll never need a stand, so they're easy to keep handy. Jim Beloff and Dale Webb of Fleamarket Music and the Magic Fluke Company have given so much to the uke community and I feel great supporting them with my business.

They feel great in my hands and sound great to my ear. Fun to play. I realize not everyone will love them as much as I do, but this uker digs them.

Interesting. I did not realize the bodies were the same size. Is the same true for Fleas?

Yes. All Fleas have the same "slightly larger than soprano" body, and all Flukes have the "slightly larger than concert" body.

I played a bunch of them, and kept getting pulled back to the one tenor I ended up buying.

And I wasn't in the market for another tenor at that point.
For me, there were a number of factors, but without the sound and feel, nothing else would have mattered.

-Kurt​

Thanks for all the imput, everyone. Basically, I'm comparing this Fluke:

Koa Fluke: $375
Tenor: +$20
Gig Bag: +$35
Pickup: +$75
Total: $505

And the aNueNue aNN-L3CE Lani III Koa - Tenor - Cutaway Electric for $450

Attachments

• 71dw118DkcL._AA1500_.jpg
    71dw118DkcL._AA1500_.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 8