Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluke talk...

Default Fluke talk...

Anyone have a fluke in both tenor and concert that I could see the difference in size (neck length)side by side..
    I have played a tenor and it's a bit long for me wondering the difference with the concert neck.
    THanks...

Carrie, here is a pic of my Concert flea and my Tenor Fluke (both seconds can you believe it? specially the pineapple.. the fading on the surf is a bit noticeable but it goes with the surf\sun fading motif. the pineapple looks great. Again on this one the defect was a bit of fading by the leaves which looks completely natural like a real pineapple.

Anyway, teh main difference is 15 to 17 frets and maybe a bit more than an inch?

I use re-entrant worth browns on the soprano and Seacoast low g on the fluke. I think the concert neck is perfect for the flea, just like tenor to the fluke. I think the concert neck on a fluke makes it look a bit short.

I was a bit lazy but am glad I took a pic to upload. here are my babies... they are both 2nds, the exact patterns I wanted, both rosweood necks and pegheds.

Hope this helps.... (do what I did. buy one of each muahahaha! )

FLeas.jpg
    Last edited by Olarte; 09-17-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

I do love my Flukes. Tenor on the left, concert on the right. Sonically they are practically identical.
    2012-09-17_14-52-31_452.jpg

"Everything I do gonh be funky from now on" - Allen Toussaint.

Thanks Ivan and Revwill. That's just what I wanted to see. I have played a tenor and it is a bit big (long for me) I think that the few inches length differenc might make it more comfortable to play..
    Apreciate the time you both took to post photos..
    Carrie

May I just interject here to say I love my concert Fluke I've owned for 12 years, but I offer one caveat.

The way the wood top is set into the plastic body, the wood is recessed a bit, and the plastic edges project beyond the wood.
    They feel a little sharp and square to me, not comfortably rounded.

It was uncomfortable for me as I rested my inner right on the edge in strumming position.
    I always had a red mark after playing where the plastic edge dug into my skin.

Since there was no way I was going to put on a long-sleeved shirt every time I wanted to play my Fluke, my solution was to hot-glue a flag patch wrapped around the of the top of the uke, centered under the bridge, where my arm rests.
    Problem solved.

Fitncrafty, you say you have played Flukes, if you didn't notice this, you should be fine.
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

I might be in the market for a new uke (aren't we all?), and I'm curious about the Fluke. What in particular draws so many people to this instrument? Is it the design? The sound? The wood? The price?
    Ukes: Lanikai O-8E, aNueNue Khaya Mahogany III, Eleuke Tenor Pineapple, Luna Great Wave Soprano
    Other strings: Cecilio Electric Violin, Traveler EG-1, Gretsch 5120, Wizard Classical Guitar, Rover Traveler, 35-String Harp, Dean Backwoods 3 Banjo, Stetson mandolin, Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Bass
    Keyboards: Knabe 1881-1885 Upright Grand, Hammond Home Organ, Komplete 8, No Name Hammered Dulcimer, Oscar Schmidt Autoharp

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio MHS View Post
    I might be in the market for a new uke (aren't we all?), and I'm curious about the Fluke. What in particular draws so many people to this instrument? Is it the design? The sound? The wood? The price?
    It has a very nice sound for the price. The plastic bowl back of it makes it nice and loud, which is often a problem with ukes. And it's durable -- it makes for a great travel uke, that I can put in its gig bag and throw in the trunk for any car trip I take. The plastic fretboard has a very good and predictable intonation, so you don't have to worry about having your music store set it up for you before you can play it.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    I do love my Flukes. Tenor on the left, concert on the right. Sonically they are practically identical.
    2012-09-17_14-52-31_452.jpg
    Those are really nice looking ukes. What are the patterns called?
    Mainlands RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RevWill View Post
    Interesting. I did not realize the bodies were the same size. Is the same true for Fleas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio MHS View Post
    Tone and durability are the two factors that had the largest impact in my purchase decision.

Thread Information