Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you tune your Machete? (I mean your Sopranino?)

Default How do you tune your Machete? (I mean your Sopranino?)

How do you?
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Howdy!

I have a KoAloha Noah, a Willie Wixom custom koa Sopranino, and a couple Kala Pocket Ukes. (One Acacia, one Mahogany.)

I tune ALL of them GCEA, and they sound fine. I can provide sound samples. Action height at the nut, as well as finger pressure and string choice are paramount in avoiding intonation issues, but otherwise, I can play in a group without having to finger different chords with a DGBE or differently tuned uke.

Cheers!

My Hulabox Sopranino (under 10'' scale length) is tuned DGBE (one octave higher than a baritone ukulele).

Sounds quite good in my ears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3TY1PY3R_s

Cheers,
    Linho

thats hilarious!!! and great!
    Ko'Aloha Concert-KSM-03
    Kamaka Pineapple White Label
    Gold Tone Banjolele Concert
    Hilo Soprano

Ohana Sopranino
    A D F# B
    One full step up.
    I know someone who tunes his little pocket uke the same notes as a baritone, just a full octave higher.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

I have the same uke as ukeeku, and I also tune it A D F# B.

Hey, I just checked out South Coast Ukes' website...and I don't see any sopraninos...

Do you make any, or have any pictures?

b flat, E flat, G and C. Brings it to life.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1937Scott View Post
    Hey, I just checked out South Coast Ukes' website...and I don't see any sopraninos...

Do you make any, or have any pictures?
    Hey Scott- thanks for the interest, but we haven't made anything now in a little over a year. Thanks to the Lacey Act & CITES we've had to test and re-inventory practically all our woods. The first few intruments are just now starting to dribble in. We'll get our previous ukulele models (w/ some changes) out first, then 4-string guitars. A little model is intriguing, but if we do one it will be down the line.

While working on a new website for the strings, however, I thought of a possibility for the Sopraninos and thought I'd gauge some interest. I put "Machete" in the title of the thread because that was the name first used in Hawaii for what shortly after became the ukulele. In that more portugese form, it was a little smaller, and had an open high key of G tuning. In Helmholz notation you'd write it: d" - g' - b' -d".

Ken had a good suggestion - the E flat tuning, one step up from D should be very nice. Either of our Light Gauge sets should work for this, and some of the thinner soprano sets in general may do it as well.

But I was very impressed with Herr Ukulinho's video above. He's playing the same tuning ukeeku referred to - a standard reentrant high key of g tuning, an octave above the reentrant G tuning you might use on a Baritone. The only difference between this tuning (d" - g' - b' - e") and the machete tuning is that the first string in machete tuning is one note lower. If you had some strings that would work for the "Octave G" tuning, it would be easy to "slack" the 1st string a step and play around with the Machete tuning as well.

At any rate, give a listen to the video. The very first Ukulele Method published in Hawaii (probably when the instruments were still small by Soprano standards), was written by Angeline Nunes and was in the open G tuning. Linho's video gives an aproximation of what the first ukuleles may have sounded like.

What we may be able to offer a bit quicker than an instrument is a set of strings - an "Extra Light Set" that could give either of those tunings on a Sopranino, the modern "Machete". Before the string site went up, I thought I'd see if anyone was interested.
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 09-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Dirk,

Thanks for the reply. The Lacey Act is the same law that got Gibson $500,000 in fines, right? Wood that used to be legal to import is now only legal if the work is completed in the country it comes from is my understanding. Glad I don't have to deal with that. I'd rather plant my own trees and wait for the wood to grow....

I watched the video. I just believe tuning 'up' makes a uke sound more like a toy music box. I have Worth Clear Lights on my Kala Pocket Uke. It sounds great in C tuning, I should stop being lazy and make a recording for you to hear. Be sure to post here on UU when you get the Machete going...

Scott

Thread Information