Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boat Paddle

Default New Boat Paddle

Bet you didn't know that Missouri based Boat Paddle ukes also makes Boat Paddle mandolins. I just purchased it a few days ago. I've been wanting to learn how to play the mandolin and came across the Boat Paddle. It has a wider nut than the standard mandolin and it's strung with Aquila Nygut strings. It has a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides.

IMG_0731.jpg

cool sound holes bro

How cool is that? Thnaks for sharing it with us. Enjoy it!

Nylon strings? Do you play it with your fingers?
    Ukes: Lanikai O-8E, aNueNue Khaya Mahogany III, Eleuke Tenor Pineapple, Luna Great Wave Soprano
    Other strings: Cecilio Electric Violin, Traveler EG-1, Gretsch 5120, Wizard Classical Guitar, Rover Traveler, 35-String Harp, Dean Backwoods 3 Banjo, Stetson mandolin, Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Bass
    Keyboards: Knabe 1881-1885 Upright Grand, Hammond Home Organ, Komplete 8, No Name Hammered Dulcimer, Oscar Schmidt Autoharp

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio MHS View Post
    Nylon strings? Do you play it with your fingers?
    Nope. I use a plectrum. Mandolins need to played with a pick.

Interesting! Would love to hear how it sounds. A lot of that chimey traditional mandolin sound is due to the metal strings.

- FiL

Do you know if it's built to handle normal, metal mandolin strings or just uke strings?

Lots of interest in hearing what it sounds like
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

Quote Originally Posted by JamieFromOntario View Post
    Do you know if it's built to handle normal, metal mandolin strings or just uke strings?

Lots of interest in hearing what it sounds like
    I believe it's built to handle nylon strings. The bridge which holds the string is built like that of the ukulele. But, that is a good question that I should ask Jerry from Boat Paddle Ukes. I went to order some of the Aquila M1 mandolin strings from Elderly music and found that they were sold out and awaiting reorder. That tells me that the nylon string concept on mandolins must be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by delray48209 View Post
    I went to order some of the Aquila M1 mandolin strings from Elderly music and found that they were sold out and awaiting reorder. That tells me that the nylon string concept on mandolins must be popular.
    Or that they don't keep them in stock because nobody orders them. Either way, the nylon-string mando is an interesting concept. How wide is the nut?

- FiL

How wide is the fretboard at the nut? Looks a little wider than a mandolin. Wonder if it can be tuned as a "taropatch" uke

Thread Information