high end shops on Maui.

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
Guys is there a goto shop on Maui for higher end uke's. I have yet to find a soprano that I like in the usual places and well I will be on the island for about 10 days. Unfortunately I will only be on Maui for this trip and will not get to any of the other islands.

Lahaina Music
910 Honoapiilani Highway Lahaina, HI 96761
(808) 661-7625

Bounty Music in Kahului has a few. I was there last week. The good ones are behind the counter.

Guys is there a goto shop on Maui for higher end uke's. I have yet to find a soprano that I like in the usual places and well I will be on the island for about 10 days. Unfortunately I will only be on Maui for this trip and will not get to any of the other islands.

sure, go to Mele Ukulele, just up the road from Bounty Music. they have a huge selection of excellent ukes, nice people too. if a Mele uke is good enough for Warren Buffit it ought to be good enough for you.

sure, go to Mele Ukulele, just up the road from Bounty Music. they have a huge selection of excellent ukes, nice people too. if a Mele uke is good enough for Warren Buffit it ought to be good enough for you.

I have never even played a mele at this point, or considered it, will check them out. Bounty has some lower dollar stuff that I might want to check out.

Really I want something similar to my old glyph custom in terms of tone, warmer, pure strummer . Never should have sold that thing. Trying to talk the wife into letting me take a puddle jumper over to see Joe / Kristan and try and find something on there wall that is similar to my older tenor Po'okela.

Aloha, I just got back from Maui last week. Check out Bounty Music in Kahalui and Mele in Wailuku. There is a well worn white label Kamaka soprano at a pawn shop in Wailuku. No visible damage, appeared to be straight and in fair shape, but the fret board showed a lot of wear. Their first asking price was $850, but it was barely worth one fourth of that, I told them so and they were willing to bargain. Have fun on Maui I love it there. Let me know if you want info on uke groups you could play with. Aloha

So I found a really good G-String tenor, but man I have way to many tenors, almost good enough for me to get it though. . A decent but not great Kamaka soprano and a decent Kanile'a concert. Going to swing by Bounty tomorrow if I can sneak out.

so where was the g-string tenor? could you add a list of places you frequented at the end of your trip? i'm over there in 53 days ;)

Cheers

Cliff

In a weird little sho called

Hawaii Ukulele & Gift Corporation lahania, it is near baldwin house.

Its like a kiosk, older lady runs it. She was very nice. It was a really nice fingerpicking tenor. Built just the way I like it too, huge curl in the wood, bookmatched and no binding. She also had a decent Kamaka.

Pretty good I imagine, they only really sell stuff in the 200-300$ range I would imagine.

Also if you are visiting and you have only a few days skip the road to Hana, we did it on a no traffic day and 10+ hours in the car and the pools were closed at the top. Just a completely wasted vacation day.

cheers for the heads up, my wife wasn't too keen anyway, would rather go snorkeling, which suits me fine.

hope the rest of trip goes better

Cliff

Sitting on a patio looking at mountains drinking fresh guava juice. I could not be happier.

Top Bottom