Coconut Ukulele?

Well, I'm not planning to build one, nor am I in the ableness to make one. But I do have a spare neck and all I need to do is buy a coco nut and find some solid wood. I think a small scrap piece of koa would be nice. That or mahogany.

-Coleton

I hear you.

One of my students broke my Dolphin in half. It was green, so I'm holding out for either a cigar box or a cool green lunch box (think Incredible Hulk).

Seems like that would be way less work than trying to sort out a coconut. Then again, a cocouke would be pretty cool.

I started out building coco-leles and have done many of them. The best thing you can do is to locate the biggest coconuts you can find. The Samoan varieties can be huge, double the size of the more common ones. Thin and smooth the shell as best you can, especially the insides. You can fiber glass two or three shells together if you fit them properly (I used to build tenors using three nuts; one large one for the upper bout and two smaller ones for the lower.) The most difficult part will be in fitting the neck and getting it true. It's fun project as long as your expectations aren't too lofty.

I can't speak about building...but I have played a soprano scale coco-lele and it was awesome. I need to acquire one some day. :)

Good luck!

How about a Duckulele?

Click the button next to jop to see the original post with picture.
I built this three stringer some years ago. Rather shrill and piercing, but quite fun to play.

Jens

Last edited:
Coconut ukulele

Would it be possible to make a coconut body ukulele? Really it would have to be a sopranino or maybe a slightly small soprano. Has anyone experimented with this? How would you go aroung doing this?

Thanks,
Coleton

Hello Coleton, yes a coconut ukulele is not only possible but I build them I call them sopranetta because they tune an e like a guitar only one octave higher and they have 22 frets. coconut ukulele.jpgcoconut ukulele 3.jpg

give me a holler at ukulele2go@gmail.com
or haveukulelewilltravel@gmail.com

Top Bottom