Microphone help needed

-UP-

Reaction score
I decided to bought a mic for better sound quality for my youtube videos. I wanted something affordable and that has a 3,5mm plug. So I bought a Superlux E531 from Thomann. Problem is that the sound signal is very weak. I try to record it using Audacity on my computer. If I add the input level from sound settings, it just add more noise.

Here is some example, what the mic could do. So why can't I get a sound like that? I have the battery in and switch turned on (I've tried both 90 and 120 degree settings).

Specs:
Type: Single point stereo (Mid-Side arrangement), electret condenser microphones
Polar Pattern: Cardioid for Mid and figure of 8 for Side. Coverage at 90° or 120°
Frequency response: 100~15,000 Hz
Sensitivity: -45dB/V (5.6mV/Pa) ±4dB @ 120° setting. Channel difference within 3dB
Nominal Impedance: 1k ohm ± 20% at 1kHz
Minium load: 2k ohm
Impedance: 25dB SPL
Equivalent Noise level: 110dB
Max. SPL: 69dB
Signal-to-noise ratio: 85dB

You have to mess with placement and distance and environment too. I'm a bit surprised you didn't go with a usb mic. Those transmit digitally and are dramatically less sensitive to line noise which you might have. You may have to try a ferrous ring filter (or whatever they are called) to kill the line noise. Also you sound card could be causing problems, perhaps with electrical noise inside the computer. Again, another variable removed with a usb mic.

Well, I get some sound recorded without the noise if I setup no boost on sound settings. Problem then is that the mic has to be almost attached to the uke (or mouth).

Hmm.. Usb-mic would be nice, when I think about it now.

When recording with a microphone the microphone needs to be very close to the source (mouth or instrument) to achieve the goal of reducing environmental noise. This is true pretty much regardless of the type of microphone. When you move the microphone further away and increase the gain you bring up the environmental noise as well.

Also, those mics have a pretty wide pattern, especially in stereo, that means they will pick up more "off-axis" noise than a more directional microphone would.

For reducing both ambient and electrical noise use a very directional microphone, very close to the audio source, and consider your physical layout as well. If, for example, you have a central AC vent behind you the microphone will be more inclined to pick up noise from it even when you are using a directional microphone.

Above all, though, get that microphone in close. I've found that using a single microphone for vocal and instrument pickup will rarely give better results than you get from the in-camera microphone because you have to move the microphone back far enough to balance the uke and vocal volume. You have a stereo microphone so your best bet might be to move it in close but turned "on it's side" so one channel is pointed at your mouth and the other is pointed at the uke. This will let you get the microphone closer, plus will narrow the side-to-side pattern to further reduce ambient environmental noise.

Does it really have to be under inch from the instrument? That is the only way i could record something that would be about the same quality as my "DIY-headset-microphone-pickup".

I wouldn't like to spend much money for reconding stuff, it's just small part of the fun. What would be the best (and inexpensive) way to record two ukes?

I don't mean to be a smart alec here, but have you installed a battery in it?
Condensor microphones need power.

Send it back if it doesn't work any better than that for you.

I have installed the battery. And it seems that i will send it back.

I'm just wondering what would be a good recording method for me, if microphones (at this price level) aren't any better. I have two ukes i would like to record occasionally. Neither of them have a pickup.

I decided to bought a mic for better sound quality for my youtube videos. I wanted something affordable and that has a 3,5mm plug. So I bought a Superlux E531 from Thomann. Problem is that the sound signal is very weak. I try to record it using Audacity on my computer. If I add the input level from sound settings, it just add more noise.

I bought an inexpensive stereo condenser mic and had the same problems when I plugged into the mic input of my PC. I think that PC inputs are inherently noisy as it's OK when I've used it elsewhere. I have a usb mic and that's fine, nowhere near as much noise. I have been thinking of getting a small usb mixer as I have recently got a pickup for my ukes.

Top Bottom