Ukulele sound

Geoff123

Reaction score
hi all
New to this so here go's ,just bought a concert ukulele so just starting
It's a Clearwater ukulele from a uk firm it's all tuned up but the first string the (A) string just does not sound right ,it's not as sharp as the others. Seems loose and twangy is this right when you pick each string
The (A) does not ring like the others and sounds dull.
Remember I am new to this

hi all
It's a Clearwater ukulele from a uk firm it's all tuned up but the first string the (A) string just does not sound right ,it's not as sharp as the others. Seems loose and twangy is this right when you pick each string

Did you buy a tuner too? Shouldn't be twangy if it's in tune.

Hi all
Yeah electronic tuner bought ,it might be ok but does not sound right to
Me but like I said I am new to this.

Last edited:
hi all

Looks like out of the box this ukulele uses "factory" strings, meaning *junk*. The first thing I noticed when I changed out strings on my first ukulele was that the 'A' string was noticeably louder and more "bell" like. Now if you already changed out strings....

All four strings should be under approximately the same tension - if the A string feels significantly "softer" then it is probably tuned to the A an octave down from where it should be.

All four strings should be under approximately the same tension - if the A string feels significantly "softer" then it is probably tuned to the A an octave down from where it should be.

My first thought. Second was perhaps the installer put diameters in wrong positions. I would try going up an octave if it's loose or try some new strings. Make sure your strings are seated in the nut slot and and bridge slot.

There are several on-line ukulele tuners. Assuming a standard GCEA tuning your 'A' string should be 440hz (the 'A' above middle 'C' on the piano.). Pitch pipes, pianos, harmonicas, and even a good metronome have this 440hz tone.

What type of strings are they? Grey/white, clear, black or another colour?

I am new to the ukulele world too but the first thing I did when I got mine was to change the strings. And...this is just me.. I also like the Low G tuning that I instantly experimented with classical guitar strings. To this point..love them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom