Kremona Uke pickup?

So it goes behind rhe bridge?
Might not give you the natural sound...

I'm looking for a pickup that isn't intrusive to put on an already completed Uke. I really don't want to drill into this Uke. I found this Kremona pickup and was hoping someone has tried it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kremona-UK-1-Ukulele-Pickup/dp/B0061ZUKWG

I have played one of those. They are not as bad as I expected, but they are not "good" either... I would have to recommend the JJB after reading/hearing this: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...B-Soundboard-Pickup-in-Mainland-Mango-Soprano

Wild! I've never seen that before! That looks like a great alternative to a stick on external pickup and not as intrusive as drilling a hole and doing a full install. Clever...

Here's a cheap option for a totally non-intrusive way to have a pickup:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daphon-SY-6...158?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19d292db4e

It's a clip-on pickup that you put on your headstock, same as you would with a clip-on tuner.
It's not as good as a good quality undersaddle, but I was actually quite impressed with mine. You do get a good, natural tone - although it also does pickup percussive noises of you hitting the uke.

It's really cheap, so you won't lose much in giving it a shot.

Here's a cheap option for a totally non-intrusive way to have a pickup:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daphon-SY-6...158?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19d292db4e

It's a clip-on pickup that you put on your headstock, same as you would with a clip-on tuner.
It's not as good as a good quality undersaddle, but I was actually quite impressed with mine. You do get a good, natural tone - although it also does pickup percussive noises of you hitting the uke.

It's really cheap, so you won't lose much in giving it a shot.

I tried a clip on cause I thought it would easy and could even be used on different ukes during a gig, but I found it moved around and added noises I did not like.
The Kremora looks good, but I have heard they are still working on the pickup.

It looks like it should be flipped. I would like to see if it could go with the jack end not stick up. interesting idea. I think it needs some work

I got one of these recently and I have to say, I like 'em and I don't. The sound is really good, I think, but I'm no expert. I've yet to play it at open mic. When the chord rubs against stuff it makes noise though. I got it for my Kanilea concert but didn't realize it won't fit on it until I got it. It only fits on models that have tie around bridges and it's not that easy to just slip on and off different ukes like I thought. You have to loosen all the strings and, you know what that does. Takes a while for the uke to stay in tune again. I would like it to somehow have the end pin jack lay closer to the uke body. Would I return it? Nope. Would I buy it again? Yes, if the issues I mentioned were solved.

I think the biggest problem with that unit is that you are adding a fair amount of weight to the bridge; just the jack and, when plugged in, plug are bound to impact the way the bridge and soundboard vibrate more than do other pickups. For those who are more concerned about modifications to the uke than they are how faithful the sound is they are probably a good option. For those who want sound as close to "mic'd with a condensor" without the inconvenience of an external mic, maybe not as good an option as a soundboard transducer, though possibly better than an undersaddle transducer.

John

I'm running this on my Luna Tattoo Concert. It's an OK setup. For anything approaching a natural sound (running through my son's cheap guitar amp) you need a pre-amp. Someone on UU suggested a Behringer AD121. I got the AD121. It works for what I want: sitting in with the youth at camp this summer. It will take a better player with a better ear and more experience to judge whether this is a good set-up.

I play right handed and have the pickup installed pointing away for me. Just eyeballing things the pickup could probably be flipped so that the element snuggles down next to the bridge instead of standing proud of the bridge. May do that at the next string change. Note that you must loosen the strings just enough to slide the UK-1 in, but it is not necessary to remove them.

It does pick up every little jiggle,scrape, slide, and thump, but what piezo pickup wouldn't? Same goes for weight. Every pickup will have some drawbacks and every on will affect the sound of the uke one way or another. This unit has the advantage of not requiring any mods to the body of the uke, placing the pre-amp off the instrument, not buzzing, and sort of looking like it's intended to be there. It's not just some dingus stuck onto the uke someplace.

Top Bottom