Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New uke day, Woohoo!

Default New uke day, Woohoo!

My new Compass Rose arrived yesterday from Gryphon, It's a style B tenor in all Claro Walnut with a gloss finish. Apparently,Rick dropped it off on a Friday, they posted the pictures on Monday and when I saw it on Tuesday, I snatched it up. I've been keeping on eye out at Gryphon while I saved a few pennies to order one, then I saw this one with the gorgeous Walnut pop up, I just couldn't resist.

It came strung low g, a first for me, and it sounds amazing. A warm but clear and articulate voice, I guess if I had to choose one word to describe this uke, it would be "sultry". I also love the shape of the neck, not sure what he does differently, but it feels fantastic. Just seems to fit in my hand perfectly, and I can move up and down the neck effortlessly.

Here are a few quick pictures, the lighter ones didn't seem to capture the darker chocolate color of the walnut, so I tried again.

CRBACK.jpgCRBACK1.jpgCRFRONT.jpgCRFRONT1.jpgFACEPLATE.jpg

A link to Gryphon pictures, much better than mine.

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39573/39573.php?z=w
    Last edited by hammer40; 09-26-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added link pictures of neck.
    Tenor Ukes
    KoAloha KTM-00
    Pono MTD-(All Mahogany)
    Big Island BI-MO-TR-(All Spalted Mango)
    Compass Rose Style B Tenor-(All Claro Walnut)
    Boat Paddle ML style Tenor-(Red Spruce/Cocobolo)

Baritone Uke
    Pono MHBSSC-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Tenor Guitar
    Ibanez AVT1-N-(Spruce/Mahogany)

Dang, that is beautiful! Sultry indeed....

Soprano: Sailor Brand SPC-S, Donaldson Vintage-S, Gstring Longneck, 1920's Martin 0, Makala Dolphin (YELLOW), Mainland Chili!, Roy Smeck
    Concert: KoAloha Sceptre, KoAloha Super Concert, Kala "Mighty Uke", Kamoa Grand Concert, Martin 2K
    Tenor: LoPrinzi Model A Mohagany
    Pineapple/Other: Mainland red-cedar, Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple (Mango), KoAloha Longneck Pineapple, Vintage Kamaka Pineapple, Kamaka 100th Anniversary Pineapple

Aloha from Charleston, SC!

Wow. Congrats on a beautiful new addition

Beautiful uke! Love Claro Walnut

Congratulations on the beautiful new ukulele! I took Rick's build-your-own-ukulele class and not only does he make great ukuleles, he's a really nice guy. I hope to buy one of his ukuleles someday.

Congratulations! Very very nice. I heard one in walnut;it sounded great. Just starting my Compass Rose custom build.

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm probably the only person in existence who hasn't been a big Compass Rose fan, but this one might change my mind. :-)
    Kathryn

Hippie Dribble Guest

gee that's a stunner!

I saw that on their web site and wondered who would be the lucky one. You got a real beauty!!!! Congratulations.
    "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."Thomas Merton

RyanMFT Guest

Beautiful ukulele from a stellar builder! I am lucky to have met Rick a few times and not only is he a great builder, but a really quality guy. Enjoy that beautiful ukulele!

Thread Information