Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mya Moe curly redwood ukes?

Default Mya Moe curly redwood ukes?

I ordered a Mya Moe curly redwood baritone [#851] and it will be completed in three weeks. After a lot of discussion about tone, Char suggested the curly redwood from their supply. She felt it is somewhat 'crisper' than the usual redwood and not quite so bright as a spruce top ukulele.

I'm wondering if anyone on UU has a curly redwood topped uke from Mya Moe. If so, what are your impressions?

I can hardly wait for the uke to arrive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jackwhale; 09-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    Life is made of chords, not just single notes.

In don't have one and have never played one but I sure like the looks of them! Beautiful!

Tiger stripes!!!

Just noticed you're in Concord! My dad and brother live in Pleasant Hill. Small world.

Sorry to have no actual information. Redwood is usually described as dark in sound, probably much more like cedar than spruce, I would guess.
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

I can't comment on the MyaMoe redwood, but the redwood uke I have has a sound somewhere between cedar and spruce. It's got some of the warmth of cedar and all those great overtones but it has a great deal of the punchiness of spruce.

The fact that they are saying that it's sounding crisper than typical redwood leads me to believe that it will have the punchy spruce quality in abundance.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it when it's all done!
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

Oh man, that top is going to look nice once finished!

The curly redwood we have is a little denser than the straight grain. That will give you a little brighter sound

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping this is the last uke I will ever need or want. Hah!!

jamiefromontario: thanks for the reply. it is always difficult to find the words to describe the sound of a uke, but your description is exactly what I am hoping for. 'Punchy' is a good word to go along with 'warmth'.

pulelehua: Yes. Concord and Pleasant Hill are right next to each other....one can drive from one to the other and not know one is in a different town.

OK. THis might be the Mya-Moe uke that makes me drink the Mya-Moe kool-aid I love redwood and I currently own a Mele with redwood top. I may have to sell a kidney on the black market to get me a Curly Redwood top Mya-Moe tenor before the stock runs out WOWZERS!!

My Wife just got her Mya Moe. It is Brazilian Rosewood with a curly redwood top. It looks spectacular: http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketra...1&submit=Track
    And the sound is wonderful. Slightly bright, incredible sustain, clear...just spectacular! (We use that word a lot about #811)
    I think you are going to LOVE your new Uke!

That IS a beautiful uke. The color and grain certainly do come alive when the finish is added. I see you have a twin spot pickup. I really debated about whether to add a pickup...then debated about which pickup before deciding on a misi.
    Last edited by jackwhale; 09-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information