Humidifiors in the UK

lennymac

Reaction score
Hey all,

Do any members in the uk use humidifiors in the winter months? Should I be ok without one?

I've just bought a hygrometer and the house is at the moment (heating was on earlier in the house and it has been raining on and off all day outside) 65% - and is 58% inside a uke case in the cupboard. Should I just continue to monitor this? From what I've read this should be ok(ish)?

Am I being paranoid?

Thanks all,

Ross

I posted this back last year and never really had a straight answer, some say no some say yes, so good luck with the question, I will keep an eye on the thread,

Thanks kaizersoza - I'm sure to be on the safeside I probably should - but I have a couple of fairly nice ukes and am waiting on a kamaka special due to arrive December and I want enjoy my ukes - don't want to get caught in the trap of being precious about them. Maybe Ken Middleton would be a person to ask - he is uk based and seems pretty much switched on. We'll see how the thread goes. I've had solid wood ukes for maybe 3-5 years now as well as a solid top guitar for several years with no issues I've noticed - but maybe i've not been looking for the signs. Maybe I'm being paranoid!!

I hope this does get a response as I have just got a solid wood uke. Southern ukulele store said I wouldn't need one but I want to protect my precious lol

I hope this does get a response as I have just got a solid wood uke. Southern ukulele store said I wouldn't need one but I want to protect my precious lol
I saw your pictures, she looks great!! Very jealous!!

I live in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia which I think has a very similar climate to the UK. I don't really humidify my instruments (ukes or guitars) and after doing a little research into the mean relative humidity in Vancouver, I found out that if anything it might be too humid here. Indoors is different than outdoors of course and there are other factors to consider such as how you heat your home.
Here is a link to the Larrivee guitars info on humidity. http://www.larrivee.com/features/humidity.php
They build guitars very close to where I live so I thought I would consult them and they have a very extensive article about it.

The important thing, as others have said or suggested, is to know the relative humidity INDOORS, where you keep your ukulele. People who don't humidify their ukuleles because the weather service in their area reports high relative humidity OUTDOORS are ignoring the effects of heat (most types dry the air) or air conditioning (designed to dry the air) in the room in which they keep their ukuleles. If your indoor hygrometer indicates that your indoor relative humidity is between 40 and 60 percent, your ukuleles should be okay, although humidifying the case, if you keep your ukulele in a case, won't hurt even if the room is adequately humid.

Last edited:
Never used one in UK in 30 years of owning guitars and ukes. No damage.

The point is - be sensible - dont leave in sunlight, don't leave in red hot central heated room. All my instruments live in a room with heating down low. And they stay in cases.

I can't see the need for them in the UK. The hygrometer on my barometer stays almost permanently at between 55% & 60%. It's currently 58%. I don't know many other uke players but none of the guitarists I know use one.

Top Bottom