Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens if...

Question What happens if...

Quick question....

What happens if you use concert strings on a tenor uke? Will it even work at all??
    Where are the other two strings?

Your asking what happens if you put concert strings on a tenor?

youll have a tenor with concert strings on it. strings are strings, nothing more.
    Da Papa Gutes Style - YOUTUBE MYSPACE

Quote Originally Posted by Guting View Post
    Your asking what happens if you put concert strings on a tenor?

youll have a tenor with concert strings on it. strings are strings, nothing more.
    Hmm...Ok. So, I have concert strings and tenor strings made by the same company. They are the same length. There is no difference?

I guess what I was asking is....will they sound different....if so...how??

maybe the diameter is smaller, but I think its all neglible. I use to swap strings like mad from all kinds of ukes. that was like until 2 years ago, now im still rocking the tenor with 2 koolau golds, 1 worth Clear hards, and one nylgut. haha

In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D

Quote Originally Posted by UKESTAR View Post
    Hmm...Ok. So, I have concert strings and tenor strings made by the same company. They are the same length. There is no difference?

I guess what I was asking is....will they sound different....if so...how??
    It's not as simple as "strings are strings"

This is because of the tension of the strings. The tension makes a difference in how the strings play and feel. Strings with a lighter gauge are a bit brighter but then the feel might be a little better for someone who doesn't want the strings to be too tight.

Putting a set of strings that were specifically meant for a different size might also damage the bridge. For example, it wouldn't be a great idea to put the pro arte strings meant for a tenor on a soprano ukulele. The tension isn't compatible and the bridge might suffer from strain that it can't handle.

But it's also okay to experiment sometimes. That's how the idea of using D'Addario and Savarez strings came about
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

I didnt want to get too much into detail, since his situation aint so critical.

Hahaha. You're right. I just didn't want him to end up damaging his ukulele.
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

Yea like some guy I knew who put on bari strings on his tenor, tuning it to standard, and ripping off the bridge. Lots of people ask how me my bari uke sounds so high, I always tell em swap em with tenor strings.

Ripping off the bridge of an expensive uke would have sucked. Now I know what I can do. Apparently, I can use strings designed for a uke smaller than what I am stringing.........just not bigger.

For example, it would be OK to string a tenor with concert strings.....while stringing a soprano with tenor strings could possible damage the uke because of tension issues.

Quote Originally Posted by UKESTAR View Post
    Ripping off the bridge of an expensive uke would have sucked. Now I know what I can do. Apparently, I can use strings designed for a uke smaller than what I am stringing.........just not bigger.

For example, it would be OK to string a tenor with concert strings.....while stringing a soprano with tenor strings could possible damage the uke because of tension issues.
    Well If you put strings on your ukulele that were meant for a bigger size, the tension would be super high. The smaller the instrument, the smaller the strings will match the sound also.

Imagine putting ukulele strings on a classical guitar. Not so good eh?

My best advice would be to not stray too far from the tension that was meant for the size of your ukulele.
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

Thread Information