Harmony Baritone Neck Joint?

D

dhoenisch

Could someone please tell me what type of neck joint Harmony used on their baritone ukuleles?

I just purchased a "new" one over the weekend, and though the action is spot on, the saddle cannot be lowered any more and the strings have almost no break point after the saddle. They basically lie almost flat between the holes and the saddle, so since I just got it, and before I really get into playing it, or even restringing it, I figure I may as well just go ahead and reset the neck, and add a bone saddle and nut right off the bat. Heck, maybe I'll even put in new frets so I can remove the old ones and pretty up the fingerboard.

Also, any advice on what to do about removing vinyl burns in the lacquer finish? I don't really want to refinish the uke since it shows its age nicely, but I just hate that the guy before me stored it on his stand for most of its life.

DSCN2119.jpg

Thanks all,
Dan

Anyone? I think if I remove the 15th (I think) like I would on a Hamrony guitar, and drill a hole for my steam needle, it will pop right out, but I just wanted to make sure that the neck isn't just a simple butt joint. Being a Harmony though, I'm sure it isn't. Either way, I think I'm going to start the work on it this weekend.

Dan

Anyone? I think if I remove the 15th (I think) like I would on a Hamrony guitar, and drill a hole for my steam needle, it will pop right out, but I just wanted to make sure that the neck isn't just a simple butt joint. Being a Harmony though, I'm sure it isn't. Either way, I think I'm going to start the work on it this weekend.

Dan

The neck joint is a tapered dovetail, like their guitars. As for the finish, there is no easy solution, you may have to refinish the damaged area.

This is a very old thread...but, I'm curious if the neck reset went well and the tapered dovetail was, indeed, the attachment. I have a late 50s Harmony Baritone that has a slight wiggle at the neck and it will need to be reset.

Top Bottom