Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Maccaferri Style Ukes

Default New Maccaferri Style Ukes

I just saw that Shelley Park is producing a Maccaferri-influenced line of ukes under the name Moodyville Ukulele Company. Shelley is extremely well-known and respected for her Selmer-style guitars. I haven't had the opportunity to play one, but they look really nice. Fairly unadorned, with no binding or inlay, save a rosette. Very puzzled by the width of the fretboard, which looks quite narrow.

I saw these at the Bluedog Guitars website in Vancouver. I have no connection to either builder or retailer, just really interested in the Maccaferri style for ukes, having two myself (by Michael Dunn and Luis Feu de Mesquita).

Britihsh Columbia: Last stop for the Pineapple Express

I think the neck width might be an illusion. I think the neck only looks thin because the body is so wide. They say it has 1 5/8" string spacing. I think they might mean nut width or saddle width because that would be a huge amount of space between the strings. I live not too far from there so next time I am in North Van I'll drop buy and give it a strum.

Oh my. I like.
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

Quote Originally Posted by collarbone View Post
    I think the neck width might be an illusion. I think the neck only looks thin because the body is so wide. They say it has 1 5/8" string spacing. I think they might mean nut width or saddle width because that would be a huge amount of space between the strings. I live not too far from there so next time I am in North Van I'll drop buy and give it a strum.
    Usually when string spacing is quoted with a large number like that they're talking about the space across the outer strings. 1-5/8" spacing at the saddle would be right in the ballpark of "normal."

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Here's how Luis Feu de Mesquita does it:

And here's the Michael Dunn version:

wow, both are beautiful!

These are really beautiful instruments. Turns out that Po Mahina builds one as well.

http://konaweb.com/mahina/uku_jazz.html

and, of course, the Kepasa Gypsy Rose Lee:

http://kepasaukulele.com/models-pics/tenor5.jpg

Interesting that except for the Michael Dunn instrument, all are fixed bridge. Also, these luthiers only seem to build this style in tenor scale. Wonder why?

And finally, Tony Graziano just added this beauty to his catalogue with a fixed or floating bridge option:

http://www.grazianoukuleles.com/selmer_style.html
    Mike Kaplan

The Velvet Sirens
    Unique & Traditional Vocal Jazz and Swing
    http://www.thevelvetsirens.com

"To this day, if I ever meet grownups who play ukulele, I love 'em." --Paul McCartney

They remind me of this.

CRI_151051.jpg

I really love this style of ukulele. If someone made an 8-string variety and I was independently wealthy, I'd be all over it. That Luis Feu de Mesquita is beautiful.

- FiL

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I just saw that Shelley Park is producing a Maccaferri-influenced line of ukes under the name Moodyville Ukulele Company. Shelley is extremely well-known and respected for her Selmer-style guitars. I haven't had the opportunity to play one, but they look really nice. Fairly unadorned, with no binding or inlay, save a rosette. Very puzzled by the width of the fretboard, which looks quite narrow.

I saw these at the Bluedog Guitars website in Vancouver. I have no connection to either builder or retailer, just really interested in the Maccaferri style for ukes, having two myself (by Michael Dunn and Luis Feu de Mesquita).

I fancy a licorice allsort now, for some reason.

Thread Information