Ukulele Underground friends..

hawaii 50

Reaction score
last night i talked about Ukes with 3 other UU friends Uke42>tigeralum2001.. and the well known>> Gyosh..we had about 30 mins before my uke class..lots of fun i am very glad i found the UU many many good people here and they all love the uke..
I got to show my uke to Gary and i hope i am still in Calif when you get your Special Compass Rose..if i am back in Hawaii you got to show it to me there?if you travel with it Lol
Keep strumming!

I met UU Members PaulDecember and Stevepetergal for drinks and food in Chicagoland before the Lil Rev concert this past Friday. Similar experience, awesome dudes, totally casual and fun hanging out, wished we had more than the few hours that we had, and plans to get together again are in the works. Thank you, UU. Agree, H50.

Last edited:
I met UU Members PaulDecember and Stevepetergal for drinks and food in Chicagoland before the Lil Rev concert this past Friday. Similar experience, awesome dudes, totally casual and fun hanging out, wished we had more than the few hours that we had, and plans to get together again are in the works. Thank you, UU. Agree, H50.

Hey Cooltalker..i am a low low tech kind of guy but once i found this site i am on the computer as much as possible LOL great site and cool people..hard to believe there is a better site than this one..

Yeah it was cool to finally meet Gyosh (Gary). Thanks for letting me play your Compass Rose. I was very impressed by the sound and build quality. Still not sold on the rosette compass design ;)

Yeah it was cool to finally meet Gyosh (Gary). Thanks for letting me play your Compass Rose. I was very impressed by the sound and build quality. Still not sold on the rosette compass design ;)

I have made some great friends on this forum, some I see weekly... it's fantastic... I meet a few new uu members a few weeks ago and hope to meet many more in the future...

last night i talked about Ukes with 3 other UU friends Uke42>tigeralum2001.. and the well known>> Gyosh..we had about 30 mins before my uke class..lots of fun i am very glad i found the UU many many good people here and they all love the uke..
I got to show my uke to Gary and i hope i am still in Calif when you get your Special Compass Rose..if i am back in Hawaii you got to show it to me there?if you travel with it Lol
Keep strumming!

If you're retired before I receive my CR I'll definitely bring it on my next trip to Hawaii . . . as long as I get to try the DeVine and the MooreBettah (you know you're going to get one of those too :)).

. . . and it was great meeting everyone last night. Are you guys going to Roy's Coffee and Tea for the Kanikapila on Saturday? Maybe we should create a Bay Area UU meet up. What do you think?

If you're retired before I receive my CR I'll definitely bring it on my next trip to Hawaii . . . as long as I get to try the DeVine and the MooreBettah (you know you're going to get one of those too :)).

. . . and it was great meeting everyone last night. Are you guys going to Roy's Coffee and Tea for the Kanikapila on Saturday? Maybe we should create a Bay Area UU meet up. What do you think?

I'm thinking about going to the Kanikapila since it's going to be the last one of the year and bring my nephew who just started playing the uke.

hey Gyosh..that Moore Bettah going to be a miracle..i kind of want one made just for me(custom)even though i dont know what kind of options i would get.. Ha ha.. i think i would be in shock and just tell Chuck how much i want to spend and have him do what he wants..
i can see myself not knowing what to do if my name ever came up!

remember the mail must go through..i got to work saturday and by the end of the week dead tired(i am old remember lol)maybe one night we can meet at the San Jose uke club..Maybe..Santa Cruz would be fun but too far for me//

Last edited:

Rick said he can do abalone rosette if that is what you want and he can almost anything i am pretty sue(that is me talking) or maybe no rosette or maybe wood rosette I think Jake does wood rosettes on his Hive ukes..and i am sure John can do those too..With Rick as the Main man pretty sure they can do all kinds of stuff..

Hey Gyosh did you get the abalone rosette to go along with the ablone purfling?

I have been so fortunate to meet so many UU members friends and we have become life long good friends, and always plan for their next vacation to hawaii and meet ..always look forward to see them again and have a great time......hee hee lol

I look forward to Tuesday nights... well, not so much getting my butt kicked in the lessons, but for the camaraderie. Uke42 and Hawaii 50 are good people, as is Gyosh!

Hawaii 50, your Compass Rose really has me thinking about getting one. I'm going to go check out Gryphon and play some more. Not sure I like the width of the neck (too skinny, but it might grow on me) or the position of the side sound port (too far down the side to be really effective?), and we all know that Rosette has to go (sorry Rick), but the tone... WOW! The cantilevered fingerboard is also very cool and the construction is top notch. I definitely need to hear more examples of Rick's work! I think I am going to need to sell some ukes to buy a CR...

I haven't met any UU peeps in person, but I do talk with plainsong pretty much everyday on Skype, as well as phoning mm stan a few times. I don't think I'll ever be able to meet those of you on the other side of the Atlantic, but if you're ever in the UK, look me up!

I was also planning a UK meet up, but health got in the way and it's been forgotten about :(

I look forward to Tuesday nights... well, not so much getting my butt kicked in the lessons, but for the camaraderie. Uke42 and Hawaii 50 are good people, as is Gyosh!

Hawaii 50, your Compass Rose really has me thinking about getting one. I'm going to go check out Gryphon and play some more. Not sure I like the width of the neck (too skinny, but it might grow on me) or the position of the side sound port (too far down the side to be really effective?), and we all know that Rosette has to go (sorry Rick), but the tone... WOW! The cantilevered fingerboard is also very cool and the construction is top notch. I definitely need to hear more examples of Rick's work! I think I am going to need to sell some ukes to buy a CR...

Ha ha..yep our lessons kick my butt too.. i really like the neck width of my CR..after 10 mins it makes all my other ukes feel to wide..i think it got to be one of the easiest ukes to play..but look who is talking Lol..but for sure once you play it>> feels to me this is how a neck should be..

I can not believe how Good the sound is! kind of unreal..if you got questions email Rick he always replys back quickly (I was surprised how quick when i stated to communicate with him) if you can order directly from Rick it is the best and most fun way..watch out he may be raising prices soon..like almost everone else..

Top Bottom