Anyone familiar with Jazz Box Uke (Toby Chennell)

Jazzbox Ukes by Toby Chennell

Dear We Tiger
my Jazzbox Uke, made by Toby Chennell, arrived today and I can't tell you enough, how pleased I am.
It is a Zeb Concert, made from zebra wood with a cedar top, the neck is zebra too.
I think the fingerboard is ebony and the frets are gold, it has a pick up (which I haven't used yet)
This ukulele is fab, I love the look of it, the feel of it and the sound of it.
It is quirky, imaginative, retro, curvy and swervy and it smells lovely too.
I called Toby Chennell up on his mobile and bought it straight away, he was a pleasure to deal with.
You call him up.
The ukulele came in a real nice, solid, retro looking case.
I'm so pleased that I've added this peachy ukulele to my collection, it is probably the most beautiful one I have.
This guy knows how to carve wood.
I think I'll get him to make me a tenor.
If you're thinking of buying one, I can't think of a reason not to.
GO FOR IT!

My new favourite toy!

This guy is a genius!!

Fortunately he lives locally to me so I was able to visit his workshop and choose from the 3 that were for sale on his website. I bought a Chennell tenor called Quirk and am deliriously happy with it. Red cedar top, mahogany neck, back and sides. It sounds phenomenal and looks like a work of art. Mine also has a pick-up but I haven't had chance to try it out yet - can't wait to experiment with some fx.

The biggest problem I have is that I can't put it down!! Got it two days ago and I've barely slept since!

To be honest, I've not been one for posting on forums in the past but I have felt compelled to tell the world about my new uke and the incredible gift that Toby has for crafting instruments. Also can't believe that I paid less than £700 for a hand carved uke - it's worth five times that amount!!
He has another tenor that's is still for sale on his website (www.jazzboxukes.com) called "Zeb Dart" that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen but was slightly out of my price-range.

As soon as I can afford it I'll be ordering a concert to replace my now very dull sounding koa flat top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 76
Congratulations on your jazzbox purchase :) ... I'm the happy owner of the Blanco tenor and I am totally in love with this instrument.

Congratulations on your jazzbox purchase ... I'm the happy owner of the Blanco tenor and I am totally in love with this instrument.
Thanks Pawel. I've just watched the vids on your you tube channel. Sir, you are one hell of a player!
"Georgia on my mind" is incredible and very beautiful. And your Blanco uke looks and sounds gorgeous.

Can I ask what strings do you use?

Last edited:
Congrats! That's a stunner!

Thanks we tigers.

Loving your Ween cover on you tube - genius!

I see you are from Breda. My wife and I had a road trip 2 years ago through the Netherlands and Breda was one of our favourite places. What a beautiful city. The organ in the cathedral took my breath away.

Did you buy a Chennell/Jazz box Uke in the end? I can see that you were asking about them at the start of this thread.
I can only say good things about mine.
I'm thinking of starting a "Jazz box ukes appreciation society"!!!

I use Savarez strings. They give very nice full and warm sound. I highly recommend them.
I am using a custom set - not the one that Savarez sells as dedicated to the ukulele.

Same here.

I recently have been in contact with Toby Chennell and he has been very responsive. You might want to try again if you're serious. He is working in April deliveries as of now.

I recently picked up Toby Chennell's # 16 Jazz Box Uke from a fellow UU member in California. This Uke is called the 'Simcik', named after the commissioner of the build. Completed in summer 2012. This one has a MiSi pick up, X braced spruce top, mahogany back, neck and ribs, and rosewood appointments. Superb instrument. Beautiful tenor Uke - the pictures on Toby's website just don't do it justice. Excellent craftsmanship and playability. Wife is complaining, "That is as loud as the banjo". This was while unplugged.... Toby's archtops Ukes will cure your UAS.

Top Bottom