Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ukulele enough?

Default Is Ukulele enough?

I've been working on cover song recordings, with the intention of using nothing but multiple ukulele tracks - except for bass and drums. The idea has been to see how well I can fill out the arrangent/production considering the relatively narrow sonic and musical range of the ukulele (and avoiding any temptation to add a guitar, or feel like the ukulele is not enough...)

Here is one I just finished - a cover of the Beatles song "Yes it is": http://soundcloud.com/keithmetzger You may not be familiar with this song - it was never on a Beatles album, only the "B" side of the 45 single of "Ticket to Ride".

I played all the ukulele tracks on my Moore Bettah Tenor. Some tracks are "clean" and some have effects on them.

The only exception to my ukulele only rule this time is a very brief cello thing played by my 12 year old daughter (the descending part for one measure towards the end of the song). I felt it needed to be played by a fretless stringed instrument.

To my (admittedly biased) ears, this song shows the ukulele as being amazing in its ability to represent such a wide variety of musical parts/expression. Let me know what you all think.

(You can hear the Beatles song here if you're unfamiliar: http://grooveshark.com/s/Yes+It+Is/4OGsHu?src=5 )

Keith

Sounds, Awesome!...

Just need to up the volume on the Uke a little more in the beginning and towards the end of the song.

Otherwise, Great job!...
    Last edited by GKK; 10-14-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Getting better everyday with my Pono MHTSH Ukulele.

Keith, that sounds great! I really enjoyed that. That is one of my favorite Beatle songs of all time. I too have a home recording studio (very small one). I have found recording the uke well to be a bit testy, but I'm getting there. Again, great job. By the way.. "Yes It Is" can be found on the album "Beatles VI".
    Inspiration within is waiting for you. It's time to go deep.

Hippie Dribble Guest

man this is BRILLIANT. perfect pop. Beautifully done mate. Never noticed anything missing at all, it's a gorgeous, full arrangement. Great job recording the drums too, never easy. Bravo!!!

What do you use for recording? It sounds really good!
    Last edited by Dan Uke; 10-14-2012 at 04:49 PM.

That's some creative cello use there. It's my favorite bit in this arrangement. The arrangement isn't really my cup of tea, but it's beautifully recorded, and you're right, there's nothing missing.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Hey

Nice job but maybe a little more cowbell.
    kala ka-kcg-ct ltd , aNueNue papa ll ce,

gold tone buc banjo uke, Covered Bridge redwood/myrtle tenor

noname 60's baritone

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiFlyfisher

Nice dude!
    Kamaka HF-1 ~ "小咖"
    KoAloha Longneck Soprano ~ "小摳"
    Lava Flea ~ "小跳"

I really like this, Keith! You have some great uke tracks here, thanks for sharing!

Dude, you have a great voice. Thanks for sharing your music

Thread Information