New uke day/ early xmas present! Need advice.

Joe90

Reaction score
Just went over to courtney and walker music to pick up my new ukulele, its a kala ka-sc. Very good service from the shop and all set up. Now heres the issue, being a gift from my mum and dad, do i have it now and open nothing christmas or do i wait it out and get it wrapped for cbristmas day..... hmmm this is a hard one! HELP!
20121018_104820.jpg

20121018_104808.jpg

20121018_104813.jpg

Why not do both!!!!!!!!!!! Practice and learn some cool Christmas songs. Wrap it up for Christmas Day (or Boxing Day), open it, heap great thanks upon them, and proceed to play them some Christmas music while you sing them together. Wow,talk about a family moment/memory!!!!!

Well, I'm a great believer that Christmas presents should not be opened until Christmas day - however, the crux of the matter is willpower. It's all very well me saying that it should be kept for Christmas but I know for a fact that I would not be able to do so.

I know, my contribution has been of no help and I have exposed myself as a hypocrite.

Never mind!

I say wrap it up and open on Christmas. :) I love the anticipation of waiting.

Why not do both!!!!!!!!!!! Practice and learn some cool Christmas songs. Wrap it up for Christmas Day (or Boxing Day), open it, heap great thanks upon them, and proceed to play them some Christmas music while you sing them together. Wow,talk about a family moment/memory!!!!!

Fantastic idea.

Well im still in two minds, i want it now but then i also wouldnt mind looking forward to it for christmas. I wouldnt keepnit now and then wrap it back up for xmas day, that woukd just seem a bit silly to me but thanks for the idea lol.

I like Phil's idea. Learn some songs and rewrap it for the offical receiving. If you unwrap it on christmas knowing some songs it will mean more to your folks to instantly hear/see the happiness of all of you belting out Good King Wenceslas with wrapping paper all around the room.

I say keep the uke now and practice some songs. When the gifts are given out just get your uke and just thank your parents by playing a song. They will be appreciative of the time you spent to learn the songs.
This way you won't miss out on 2 months of practicing.

I think you already opened it and now you're looking to us for justification! Well in my opinion why wait? Enjoy it and learn some Chrtistmas songs. The real gift will be having everyone together for a Christmas sing along! Have fun!

tough one Joey, but happy new uke day anyway mate. If it was me I'd give it to your parents to wrap back up for Christmas. Nothing like opening a present on Christmas morning, especially when it's a uke. Delayed gratification will probably make you climb walls in the meantime, but the anticipation will be so massive, just think how excited you'll be...it'll be like getting it twice. Just play your other baby's in the meantime. :)

:agree:
Just wait a few more days and keep tuning the strings - this will increase the fun on unwrapping day coz the new toy already stays in tune for more than a few chords.
In any case don't keep it at home untouched until Christmas, none of you deserves that.

I feel like a child again, instead of the 22 year old man i am! Ive bit the bullet and gave it back to my old man to put away for christmas, ive promised i wont go searching the house for it to play also ;) lol

In the meantime im going to carry on learning more on my starter Uke and hopelly shred the new kala on and after christmas day. A good discussion topic nonetheless so feel free to continue to put forward what YOU would do or would of done.

I think you made the right call! I am not extremely disciplined but I've always managed to tuck away a couple gifts for myself for Christmas and then made myself forget about them (made more difficult because I'm usually the one who has to wrap them). But knowing what is under the tree rarely takes away from the fun of opening them on Christmas morning. And in this case you can share that with your family. I agree with Phil, though, that learning a couple Christmas songs (on your started 'uke) will make for a nice way to start Christmas Day when you open your new 'uke!

Enjoy!

When I've been in a similar situation I wait - but, by golly, the anticipation would be killing me... Delayed gratification is HARD.

Just learn some Christmas Songs and it will be sort of like Christmas present....

okay so at 22 if it was me i would keep it open use it at will and then wrap it christmas eve and then open it again on da big day, and if then you feel guilty on the big day feel free to blame me for all the fun you have had

okay so at 22 if it was me i would keep it open use it at will and then wrap it christmas eve and then open it again on da big day, and if then you feel guilty on the big day feel free to blame me for all the fun you have had

I know what you mean, but its all or nothing for me in terms of anticipation. So ive ended up giving it to them to put away. Every time i pick up my soprano im thinking of the kala concert.... bit like comparing your girlfriend/wife and angelina jolie i guess lol.

Wrap your soprano and play your new concert now :) Or buy another uke and wrap it up that way you'll have that 'new uke' experience during christmas.

I know what you mean, but its all or nothing for me in terms of anticipation. So ive ended up giving it to them to put away. Every time i pick up my soprano im thinking of the kala concert.... bit like comparing your girlfriend/wife and angelina jolie i guess lol.

Top Bottom