What is your recording setup?

Other than videos of my ukulele group jamming that I take with my cell phone or Flip camera, I haven't done a video in over a year, but I do record audio. I like to play with multi-track recordings and use more than one instrument, harmonies, etc. Trying to get all that in a video with split screens etc, etc that the YT audience seems to prefer just got to be a PITA. Before I quit making videos, I used the same setup I do to make audio recordings, and simply synched them to my video in post-production.

To record audio, I use a little Tascam DP008 8-track recorder. Its got EQ, volume, pan, level and reverb for each channel.I generally plug my ukes, bass or guitar in directly to the 1/4" sockets in the back. I use a cheap Nady dynamic mic (or sometimes the built in condensor mics). When I am happy with the sounds on the 2-4 channels I usually use, I upload them through the USB port to my computer and do some post processing in Audacity if need be. The unit is self contained, doesn't need a computer, can run on batteries, and is about the size of a paper-back book. If I get the desire to do a video again, I would probably just replace the sound from my web cam with the final audio file from Audacity. Generally I post the audio recordings I am reasonably happy with the SoundCloud.

Last edited:
I have created a little video of how I record my videos and what I do on the computer to set it up ready for a seasons video

I was asked by one of our members to describe my process for making multi-tracked videos, so I thought I'd go ahead and publicly post my response:

I have a pretty tried and true formula that I use that might not be right for others, and some of the things I do certainly wouldn’t be viewed as “kosher” in the recording studio world.

I should tell you that musical technology is somewhat of a specialty of mine - I have a Master’s degree in Music and Electronic Media (’86 Mills College), and spent the last twenty eight years teaching music technology classes at City College of San Francisco. I have some very advanced software tools that I use quite simply for the most part.

Where it all starts: Rehearsal rehearsal rehearsal. First off, when I do a video for UU, I want to do it in one take. Even if I can patch a good performance together from multiple takes, I like to do it in one, for a couple of reasons: 1. continuity is always better if you can do it in 1 take, 2. pride: almost every other vid you see at UU is a single take with no editing. I want people to realize I did a hard song in one take, and didn’t have to rely on the technology to make my performance good. So, like the boy scout: be prepared. Be ready to go when that recording begins. I can’t emphasize how important the quality of performance is to the process. I believe a great performance recorded with decent gear trumps a decent performance recorded with great gear every time.

Step one: Capture that good performance. If you’ve got ten professional mics, you might spend a couple of hours figuring out which one gives you marginally better results. OK I could go on and on about microphones, but I believe that workflow is improved if you limit your microphone choice. I say get one or two good mics, and use them for everything. I have an Audio Technica 4040 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT4040-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0002D0BQ8) which I can use for ukulele or vocals. I also have a Shure SM86 (great for stage vocals) which I sometimes use for vocals. Either of these mics sound good with ukulele or vocals, but sometimes I get fancy and use them both. You have probably heard that having a good USB audio interface is important - well mine is an absolute piece of crap one: (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det... G4CgO4tQkVQ2SRYV8Cdw68z1sR1LuhRmRRoCj27w_wcB). Because this interface has no mic preamps, I use a Mackie mixer to feed the unit with audio from my mics. Some day I would like to get a Mackie USB mixer, which combines the functions of mixer and interface, but I don’t have much extra money these days, so I work with what I’ve got.

When I record my first pass, I always use photobooth (software that comes with mac), for both video and audio. This is one of the weak aspects of my process: photobooth is not a high res video tool, but it records full bandwidth audio (in mono - mono is fine for web-destined media, IMO, though if I multitrack the final mix will usually be stereo). This is why my videos sound good, but look like s**. I don’t mind about that, though, for me it’s mostly about the music, and eliminating the attitude that it has to look good allows me to focus (no pun intended) on the sound. I don’t have good lighting and my initial video tool is low res, so I typically remove the color in post production (I think the low res image is less offensive in B&W). After recording the good take, I export the file out of photobooth (this file will be low res vid with high res monophonic audio).

Adding more tracks: I use Digital Performer, which is a professional (and expensive) DAW (Digital Audio Workstation software can record audio and also run MIDI devices). For adding more tracks, you could get essentially the same results with GarageBand or Audacity, which are free software DAWs - they just don’t have all the bells and whistles that DP or ProTools have.
Here is where I get kind of unconventional: I hate using headphones when I’m adding tracks. So I make sure my mics are pointed away from my monitor speakers when adding new tracks. Yes, there will be some background noise from previously recorded tracks in the new tracks... I live with that (I figure that material is already there and loud on another track, this background noise isn’t going to be distracting - I’ve been surprised how good the results are - I even use this monitoring technique when recording stuff for my records - the high res studio pundits will howl, but that’s what I do!).

When recording the overdubs, I use a cheap SONY digital video camera to simultaneously capture the images. The results are much higher res than photobooth, so these takes will sometimes appear in color (or muted color) when I add them to the first take vid. These video takes sit in the camera until I’m ready to import them to finalize the video. The audio recorded on the camera will be low res, and un-useful except for syncing purposes (more on that later).

I recommend that you mix down the audio before proceeding with video editing. When I export my mix, I want it to sound great, with all parts in place. Here I could go on for about two pages about EQ, compression, effects processing, stereo sound spatialization, reverb, limiters, etc, but the bottom line is it needs to sound good when you mix down and export your audio. Once you export the audio, the video editing fun begins.

For editing video I use the free software imovie (some day I would love to get a better program, but I’m amazed at how good imovie is for free software, and am not quite ready to fork over money for something I may not really need). Imovie does picture in picture, which I love for my secondary tracks. It also lets you layer two images as well, which I use from time to time. One drawback of imovie is that you can only have two things going at once (in other words, I couldn’t have a main vid with pic in pic AND an overlayer, I have to choose two of those) - but I get around this by exporting (“sharing”) the video and re-importing THAT video to add the third to it. Hope that makes sense - for me it’s important to show at least some of the performance of the backing tracks (especially if I used a bass) - other posters just do the multi-tracking and you hear it but don’t see it... totally your call there. It’s a lot more work to add the video of the backing tracks, but that’s what I like to do.

Start with the original take. I lay the original take into imovie. Then I add the multitracked audio. With imovie, you have to make sure the multitracked mix has been imported to your itunes library. When you’ve done that, you can add that media in imovie. I drag the audio over the video track, then spend some time lining the audio up on both the original video and the new multi-tracked mix. When they are synced, I mute the original video audio, and voila, you’re video now has a high res multi-tracked audio behind it. At this point I import the other videos and either picture in picture them or overlay them.

When it all looks and sounds good, I use the share function to output an mp4 video.

I hope this has been some help, please feel free to ask questions, as I’m sure I didn’t adequately explain everything.

Here's a good example of how all the above comes together in a video. The track has an original tenor uke/vocal take, with overdubbed bass, doubling vocal, and iPhone keyboard solo:

Last edited:
Thanks for the play by play process, UkeFoote. I find it very inspirational. I think i have the basics of a good recording setup - a focusrite audio interface, microphone / ukulele pickup (depending on what I am doing), and my mac with garageband, but i find it really daunting to actually record and videotape anything and I'm hoping to overcome the technology phobia. And mixing stuff together with the equalizer and all that fancy stuff - that's just way beyond my skill. My first youtube video (and only) was done without any fancy recording device - straight on my old asus computer. While I was pleased with my playing, I was not pleased with the way the video came out. I am now able to record music, but how do you meld the audio with the video footage? And how do you make a video with the audio at the same time? I cannot figure it out. So sadly, I cannot participate in any contests or submit anything on youtube or on UU forum. :( I am sure others are in the same boat as me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Ditto those thanks, Ukefoote. That was really useful.

I'm pleased to see that I have more or less stumbled on to the same path as you. When I was putting together those collaborations with D3B7, I too mixed down the audio first and then proceeded to the video editing.

I also take care with getting the material right. If I don't have the actual sheet music, I can spend hours on a tab, checking it on chordify.net etc, rehearsing and adjusting until I'm happy with the songsheet.

I only have the one, fairly cheap USB podcast mic, that sits just above the line of sight from my laptop's built-in camera.

I too use a Mac (MacBook Pro, 2008), for recording my video and have PhotoBooth, but I've never used it for recording (I never knew you could!). On investigation, I see it records in a 3:2 (iPhone format). I use QuickTime Pro (QT 7), which records in standard 4:3 format, for both recording and for most of my video editing. I find the bundled QT (QT10) which records in 5:4 format puts too heavy a load on my Mac’s CPU - as does iMovie's 'record' facility - if I can ever get iMovie to recognise the iSight camera.

I do most of my audio editing (reverb, compression, EQ, etc.) in Audacity. QT7 has a limited audio edit capability that I might use to tweak the final output.

I do most of my basic video editing in QT7, but if I’m adding effects, such as picture in picture, then I use iMovie. However, I only use it for the video. Once I’m happy with the video, I export it back into QT and there add the audio I created in Audacity. Consequently, I don't use iTunes at all. I try to use iMovie as little as possible, however, not because I don’t like its features, but because the import/export process in iMovie is so laboriously slow.

As to syncing audio to video, I take the audio from the original video, the mixed-down audio, import both into Audacity, and then add or cut 0dB to the start of the mixed-down audio until the actual audio in the mix lines up exactly with the original audio. I then add or cut 0dB from the end of the mixed-down audio so that it's exactly the same length as the original. Once that's done, I export the edited mix into an AIFF file, and import that into my QT video.

Uh, you mean you need to "set up"? Oh dear, I have a $50 camera which has a movie mode. I press a button.

Seriously, you guys who are technologically and audio literate astound me. Would that I had the application and patience to learn about such things, but I have neither.

I was asked by one of our members to describe my process for making multi-tracked videos, so I thought I'd go ahead and publicly post my response:

I have a pretty tried and true formula that I use that might not be right for others, and some of the things I do certainly wouldn’t be viewed as “kosher” in the recording studio world.

I should tell you that musical technology is somewhat of a specialty of mine - I have a Master’s degree in Music and Electronic Media (’86 Mills College), and spent the last twenty eight years teaching music technology classes at City College of San Francisco. I have some very advanced software tools that I use quite simply for the most part.

Where it all starts: Rehearsal rehearsal rehearsal. First off, when I do a video for UU, I want to do it in one take. Even if I can patch a good performance together from multiple takes, I like to do it in one, for a couple of reasons: 1. continuity is always better if you can do it in 1 take, 2. pride: almost every other vid you see at UU is a single take with no editing. I want people to realize I did a hard song in one take, and didn’t have to rely on the technology to make my performance good. So, like the boy scout: be prepared. Be ready to go when that recording begins. I can’t emphasize how important the quality of performance is to the process. I believe a great performance recorded with decent gear trumps a decent performance recorded with great gear every time.

Step one: Capture that good performance. If you’ve got ten professional mics, you might spend a couple of hours figuring out which one gives you marginally better results. OK I could go on and on about microphones, but I believe that workflow is improved if you limit your microphone choice. I say get one or two good mics, and use them for everything. I have an Audio Technica 4040 (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT4040-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0002D0BQ8) which I can use for ukulele or vocals. I also have a Shure SM86 (great for stage vocals) which I sometimes use for vocals. Either of these mics sound good with ukulele or vocals, but sometimes I get fancy and use them both. You have probably heard that having a good USB audio interface is important - well mine is an absolute piece of crap one: (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det... G4CgO4tQkVQ2SRYV8Cdw68z1sR1LuhRmRRoCj27w_wcB). Because this interface has no mic preamps, I use a Mackie mixer to feed the unit with audio from my mics. Some day I would like to get a Mackie USB mixer, which combines the functions of mixer and interface, but I don’t have much extra money these days, so I work with what I’ve got.

When I record my first pass, I always use photobooth (software that comes with mac), for both video and audio. This is one of the weak aspects of my process: photobooth is not a high res video tool, but it records full bandwidth audio (in mono - mono is fine for web-destined media, IMO, though if I multitrack the final mix will usually be stereo). This is why my videos sound good, but look like s**. I don’t mind about that, though, for me it’s mostly about the music, and eliminating the attitude that it has to look good allows me to focus (no pun intended) on the sound. I don’t have good lighting and my initial video tool is low res, so I typically remove the color in post production (I think the low res image is less offensive in B&W). After recording the good take, I export the file out of photobooth (this file will be low res vid with high res monophonic audio).

Adding more tracks: I use Digital Performer, which is a professional (and expensive) DAW (Digital Audio Workstation software can record audio and also run MIDI devices). For adding more tracks, you could get essentially the same results with GarageBand or Audacity, which are free software DAWs - they just don’t have all the bells and whistles that DP or ProTools have.
Here is where I get kind of unconventional: I hate using headphones when I’m adding tracks. So I make sure my mics are pointed away from my monitor speakers when adding new tracks. Yes, there will be some background noise from previously recorded tracks in the new tracks... I live with that (I figure that material is already there and loud on another track, this background noise isn’t going to be distracting - I’ve been surprised how good the results are - I even use this monitoring technique when recording stuff for my records - the high res studio pundits will howl, but that’s what I do!).

When recording the overdubs, I use a cheap SONY digital video camera to simultaneously capture the images. The results are much higher res than photobooth, so these takes will sometimes appear in color (or muted color) when I add them to the first take vid. These video takes sit in the camera until I’m ready to import them to finalize the video. The audio recorded on the camera will be low res, and un-useful except for syncing purposes (more on that later).

I recommend that you mix down the audio before proceeding with video editing. When I export my mix, I want it to sound great, with all parts in place. Here I could go on for about two pages about EQ, compression, effects processing, stereo sound spatialization, reverb, limiters, etc, but the bottom line is it needs to sound good when you mix down and export your audio. Once you export the audio, the video editing fun begins.

For editing video I use the free software imovie (some day I would love to get a better program, but I’m amazed at how good imovie is for free software, and am not quite ready to fork over money for something I may not really need). Imovie does picture in picture, which I love for my secondary tracks. It also lets you layer two images as well, which I use from time to time. One drawback of imovie is that you can only have two things going at once (in other words, I couldn’t have a main vid with pic in pic AND an overlayer, I have to choose two of those) - but I get around this by exporting (“sharing”) the video and re-importing THAT video to add the third to it. Hope that makes sense - for me it’s important to show at least some of the performance of the backing tracks (especially if I used a bass) - other posters just do the multi-tracking and you hear it but don’t see it... totally your call there. It’s a lot more work to add the video of the backing tracks, but that’s what I like to do.

Start with the original take. I lay the original take into imovie. Then I add the multitracked audio. With imovie, you have to make sure the multitracked mix has been imported to your itunes library. When you’ve done that, you can add that media in imovie. I drag the audio over the video track, then spend some time lining the audio up on both the original video and the new multi-tracked mix. When they are synced, I mute the original video audio, and voila, you’re video now has a high res multi-tracked audio behind it. At this point I import the other videos and either picture in picture them or overlay them.

When it all looks and sounds good, I use the share function to output an mp4 video.

I hope this has been some help, please feel free to ask questions, as I’m sure I didn’t adequately explain everything.

Here's a good example of how all the above comes together in a video. The track has an original tenor uke/vocal take, with overdubbed bass, doubling vocal, and iPhone keyboard solo:

I record my first movie with Quicktime Player, which even though the name does not suggest it, does a much better job at recording video then Photobooth. Maybe you should try it some times. I think the video quality is much better then the one from Photobooth.

Here's the setup I've used for my last few of video (see below for new equipment); two Canon R400 video cameras, one for full shot, the other for close on hands, both mounted on one tripod with a dual camera bracket. Each camera has a bracket that holds an LED panel for fill light. For audio I have an Azden wireless lavaliere on me for voice, plus an Audio Technica wired lavaliere on a small stand and extension arm that can either be pointed at the uke or at an amp when I play my bass, both mics are connected to an Azden three channel mini mixer on the video light bracket of to the wide camera, which is the primary audio source. The close camera has a Sony stereo shotgun video mic so the tracks can be synced to the wide video/audio. I edit the video in Final Cut Pro X. Having two cameras allows me to do some creative editing if I'm not perfect when playing, which has happened a couple times.

New equipment; I recently bought two Sony DWX-B30 wireless instrument/mic systems that are far better than the Azden, so for the next video I'm going to try those, one with a lavaliere for me, the other with a standard mic for the instrument.

Top Bottom