What was I thinking?? Out of Control UAS

myrnaukelele

Reaction score
I occasionally check eBay to see what's for sale. Last night I happened to log on with just a few minutes left on an auction for a Favilla baritone. Not one bid. It looked like a great deal and I LOVE Favillas - I own two. Yes, I already own a Favilla baritone. Why would I need another? With just two minutes to go I couldn't help it- I bid on it (thinking surely someone was waiting in the wings to snatch this up at the last minute). I was the only bidder. I now own two Favilla baritones.
Yes, my UAS is officially out of control.:music:

Aloha Myrna,
Impulse buy? I have the same disease. Can't walk away from good deals. Example; spending time on Maui, found Mele ukes in pawn shops and on Maui Craiglist, good deals, have 8 of them in various sizes and woods. Bought a Mele Mahogany Tenor and gave it to my good Buddy mm Stan (bought same for myself a week earlier).
So, impulse buying is another stage of UAS, and I'm loving it.......................BO...................

Some of that is just how eBay works. It's the countdown, your chance to own this is about to disappear, don't let this get away!" mentality that is the genius of eBay. I own a bunch of things I bought on eBay because, in retrospect, I was about to lose the opportunity to buy them. But UAS works that way too. When I was on Maui last weekend, I bought a Mele extended neck 8-string tenor that I asked them to string to baritone tuning because, in part, I thought that this might be my only chance to get the equivalent of an 8-string baritone. And so it goes. Enjoy your new baritone! Tune it with a re-entrant D string, or to GCEA tuning, if you feel that you need to justify having a second one.

Happened to me earlier this summer. I went to Whitby Folk Fest & came home with a new soprano uke. I have to curb any UAS for a while as I needed some plumbing work doing which has made a big hole in my UAS fund. :(

Hi Myrna. Congrat on the new uke. If you want justification for buying it, this is the right place. Like mds725 said you can use alternate tuning or just have it around for a freind to play. Try converting a guitar player with it!

We'll need pics when it arrives.

It doesn't really sound like the UAS is out of control; You saw something that you have, and like, and another one was available, and you decided that you wanted it. No problem there, unless you can't afford it- in which case the problem isn't UAS, but IDIS (Insufficient Disposable Income Syndrome).

I've seen many ukes recently that I want, and my wife has said, "So when are you getting it?", but as I'm saving for a Custom Build, I've chosen not to purchase anything.

Although a KoAlana is awfully tempting, and the only soprano that I really play is the Vita Uke...

-Kurt​

Pas de probleme, Myrna. You are perfectly normal!
I like the idea of using it to try to convert guitar players, but you can also keep one at work. Plus, it might turn out to be better than the one you have, and you'll think yourself brilliant for getting it.

Pretty funny. My first uke was a Favilla baritone in the 1960s. If I had seen this baritone on EBay the same time as you did, we probably would have bid it up to twice what you paid. 'Just can't let this one get away' mentality might have seized us both. :)

Two solutions: win lottery, or stop looking at eBay.

There'll be good Faviilas on eBay every week...you can't save them all.

Keep them in different tunings.

Do not fear....here at the UU, you are not alone!!!! haha
Congrats on your new uke!

My Flea wasn't supposed to be delivered until tomorrow when I could conveniently get the mail. Just found out that it will be delivered today! I though I had all night to come up with reasons to explain to my wife why I need another ukulele! Oh noooooo!

:eek:
I occasionally check eBay to see what's for sale. Last night I happened to log on with just a few minutes left on an auction for a Favilla baritone. Not one bid. It looked like a great deal and I LOVE Favillas - I own two. Yes, I already own a Favilla baritone. Why would I need another? With just two minutes to go I couldn't help it- I bid on it (thinking surely someone was waiting in the wings to snatch this up at the last minute). I was the only bidder. I now own two Favilla baritones.
Yes, my UAS is officially out of control.:music:
Aloha Myrna,
congratulations on your new Favilla baritone...check this site, it easier for your UAS....http://ukuleleguy.com/vintage-ukuleles hee hee

Some of that is just how eBay works. It's the countdown, your chance to own this is about to disappear, don't let this get away!" mentality that is the genius of eBay. I own a bunch of things I bought on eBay because, in retrospect, I was about to lose the opportunity to buy them. But UAS works that way too. When I was on Maui last weekend, I bought a Mele extended neck 8-string tenor that I asked them to string to baritone tuning because, in part, I thought that this might be my only chance to get the equivalent of an 8-string baritone. And so it goes. Enjoy your new baritone! Tune it with a re-entrant D string, or to GCEA tuning, if you feel that you need to justify having a second one.
Great suggestion. Think I'll tune it re-entrant. And thanks- even though I didn't really need another baritone I know I'll really love it once I get it.

I think you will only find enablers here on UU. We all have the dreaded UAS. Congrats on your second baritone. Play on.

Congratulations on your wonderful find. I once bought a uke that was the exact same model as one I already had just because I liked the grain better.

Hello Myrna, I own a Favilla baritone and I love it. It's very cool and well made and has a beautiful sound to it and ease of play. I wouldn't have a problem having 2 of them. They are so desirable that if you ever decided to get rid of 1 of them there will always be someone out there wanting to take it off your hands. Let us know how you like it and it would be really nice if you posted pics of both of them after you get it and let us know which one was your first.
Congratulations with your new addition.

Top Bottom