Thread: How Can I Host a Seasons of Ukulele Contest?

Default How Can I Host a Seasons of Ukulele Contest?

Hey everyone, I saw a post on UU Contests about who was hosting which Seasons of Ukulele contest. I was wondering can I host one or are there qualifications needed to host one. And if I could host one do I have to come up with the theme. Out of curiosity, who chooses the host or who is the guy who starts the contests. Thanks everyone

ELECTRAUKE!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. ~Plato
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. ~Plato

Lanikai CK-C Concert
    Custom David Gill Fluke Style Tenor
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/andretv7422?feature=guide

There are no qualifications in hosting (at least I haven't seen any yet)... The hosts are voluntary although all the weeks have been filled already until week 52 as per this list. Then I think the line up for next year's seasons (week 53) will begin in January per this thread. You do have to think of the theme, prizes, etc.
    Mina's uTube

Babies: Ohana SK-21, Kala Pocket Travel, Tiwi, Enya Coffee, Ohana Mini Pineapple
    Soprano: Mainland Red Cedar, Firefly Banjouke, Susings Mango Longneck, Martin SO 50's, Finder Vintage Plastic, Bruko Maple Thin-Body, Outdoor Green
    Concert: Mainland Slotted Head, Luna Blue Dolphin, Kamaka HP-1L, Ohana CK-275G, Flea Koa
    Tenor: Pono ATD, Pono Spruce Hardbody, Ferangeli Thinbody, Outdoor Amethyst, Kala Archtop Sunburst
    Baritone: Pono Mahogany, Mainland Mango
    U-Bass: Ohana Mahogany

You are also free at any time to host a non-seasons branded contest. The Seasons are relatively specific, in that they are only one week long, generally (but not always) require a single continuous take, and the themes have never been repeated.

If you wanted to repeat one of the themes or have the contest go longer, or frankly, hold your contest before February, all you have to do is check out the rules post in the contest boards and get going.

Looking forward to your contest, whatever it may be!
    MELE KOA/MAHOGANY SOPRANO | MARTIN STYLE 1 (1920s)
    TALSMA HOLLYWOOD CONCERT | JUPITER CREEK ELECTRIC CONCERT
    LANIKAI O8-EK | MAINLAND RED CEDAR BARITONE

YOUTUBE

I'd add to the explanations above that if you want to host a Season, you probably should first get involved by submitting entries and posting responses. (I may be wrong, but I don't believe we've had a host who wasn't already a Seasonista.) You do NOT have to be a great player/singer to participate (I'm a good example), but the desire to participate is greatly admired among the Seasonistas. You also get to know the UU members a little better through comments.

A note: It takes more time to host a Season than you'd think. Keeping up with the entries (now sometimes 100 or more) and making timely host comments takes some hours at the computer.

Mattydee's right in that any contest gets entries. For your first time out, you might want to host a free-standing contest that isn't quite so fast moving and time-constrained. Good luck!

Last edited by GinnyT11; 10-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    ~Ginny

Leave every place better than you found it.

You need to send $100 to each of the previous hosts

Rich, that was before Season 25...now it's $200.
    ~Ginny

Leave every place better than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by GT3T11 View Post
    Rich, that was before Season 25...now it's $200.
    $300 for the previous judges!

In all seriousness, glad you are getting involved! Great group over there!
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

Thread Information