FREE UKE 4 A KID contest!

Tailgate

Reaction score
I posted my Ibanez Concert in the marketplace awhile ago and didn't get any interest, so I think I'll GIVE IT AWAY to a deserving kid age 12 or under. This forum is such a great community, this is a chance to give something back and put a smile on a deserving child's face.

Only ask that if you win it you will post a pic of when you present the uke to the child and let us all know about their progress. I will even pay for shipping in CONUS. If you are outside of the states, I will work with you on shipping, but you might have to chip in a little depending on the price.

The prize is a 3 month old Ibanez uew30rwe Rosewood concert, active pickup with chromatic tuner built in. Purchased 7/20/12 and played very little. Living Water strings. Cost $229.99 new. No other issues. Sounds very bright and sopranic. Comes with gig bag. Not 'brand' new, but it is a great starter uke for a child.

So, here are the contest rules

1. Either you or the child can enter via a post to this thread with a link to your ukulele song rendition on Youtube.
2. Pick a positive or fun song about families or children (Teach Your Children Well is one that comes to mind).
3. State at the beginning that you're playing the Uke 4 A Kid contest and let us all know the first name and age of who will end up with the uke (your kid, relative, kid next door, kid from Sunday school..etc)
4. Extra consideration given to an explanation of why the kid is deserving. It's always great to hear about good kids.
5, Winner chosen totally subjectively by me, but selection, sentiment and delivery of the song is important. Vocal ability is not critical, because I am firmly in the camp of those who cannot sing Also, read rule number 4 again.
6. Contest closes 10/31 at midnight Central US Time.
7. Winner announced 11/2 or before on the forum. I will PM the winner for shipping info so I can send it out quickly.

Good luck! I have been blessed so this is no big deal to do this and I would rather give a good uke away than to have it unplayed. I hope this is fun for everyone.

If you have any questions, please post them.

Bob

Attachments

• IBANEZ FRONT.jpg
    IBANEZ FRONT.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Here's a Youtube review of this uke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09I5IObx3GI

here's info from a web dealer that sells this uke..

The sweet-toned, nylon-stringed ukulele originated in 19th century Hawaii. It gained great popularity in the U.S. during the early 20th century, and from there spread internationally. Ibanez is pleased to offer the the UEW30RWE, bringing the rich, textured sounds of Hawaii (and more) to your fingertips.

The concert EW cutaway ukulele body combines larger concert sizing with the cutaway styling of the exotic EW acoustic guitar line. The stunning Rosewood body Ukulele features the UK300T Preamp with 2-Band EQ and Onboard Tuner

Includes the UEW30RWE Ukulele Case gig bag
Specifications

•Body Shape: Concert Style Body with EW Cutaway
•Neck: Mahogany Neck
•Top: Rosewood Body
•Body: Mahogany Body Binding
•Rosette: Abalone Rosette
•Tuners: Gold Grover® Open Gear Tuners
•Pickup: Ibanez Piezo Pickup
•Electronics: UK300T Preamp with 2-Band EQ and Onboard Tuner
•Fretboard: Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard
•Strings: Aquila Ukulele Strings changed to Living Water•Finish: Natural High Gloss Finish
Neck Dimensions

Scale/Length 382mm
Width at Nut 35mm
Width at Joint 44mm
Thickness 1st Fret 17.6mm Radius FLAT

have fun and please enter!

Very generous indeed, heres wishing i was 12 or under as that is one beautiful ukulele..... very envious.

Very generous indeed, heres wishing i was 12 or under as that is one beautiful ukulele..... very envious.

you can actually win it.. I just ask that you give it to a kid 12 or under.. who knows, they might be the next Aldrine or Brittni..

Nice gesture, I managed to gather my kids for this song, enjoy. I explained it in the description on the video as to why she should get it. Thanks for this generous contest.

Not an entry . . . just a thank you.

Thank you for hosting this contest with the hopes of inspiring someone young to take up the ukulele and spread the aloha.

-Gary

This is very generous of you. I have an Ibenez concert cutaway that I quite like. I've been teaching uke to about 40 kids at our school after school on Fridays. A lot of students have their own uke. Some are using a class uke until they get their parents to buy 'em one and at least one of them I spoke to last week can not afford it. I'm going to enter and hopefully win this uke for her!

This is very generous of you. I have an Ibenez concert cutaway that I quite like. I've been teaching uke to about 40 kids at our school after school on Fridays. A lot of students have their own uke. Some are using a class uke until they get their parents to buy 'em one and at least one of them I spoke to last week can not afford it. I'm going to enter and hopefully win this uke for her!

Your commitment to teaching kids after school is to be celebrated!!!! Look forward to your entry.. good luck. Bob

Very generous of you. Good luck with the contest.

Nice gesture, I managed to gather my kids for this song, enjoy. I explained it in the description on the video as to why she should get it. Thanks for this generous contest.

thanks for entering! what a cute group of kids.. they obviously love their Daddy! good luck Summer!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=G818yR4r8o4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG818yR4r8o4%26feature%3 Dyoutube_gdata_player[/video]
This is my entry. The part about children is the baby learning much more then he will ever know. Overall I just think this is just a really great song. Hope everyone likes it. I really want to be able to teach my little sister.
Please let me know if I cannot enter with this song. My goal is to really get her liking the uke as an instrument. I really would like to do a brother sister band too. I have been teaching myself for over a year with Ukulele Underground and I really want to speard the aloha with my sis. I have been teaching myself because me and my family have been on the road in an RV for 16 months. Sorry that she did not smile in the video, we were having a lot of problems laughing while we were filming so smiling would start the laughter. We would also get lessons for her.
PLEASE READ THIS I EDITED IT!

Last edited:
This is my entry, let me start by saying ive only been playing around two months and i havent got the fluidity of some of you obviously but i aim to get there. Im entering on behalf of my nephew caleb, who is 3 years old this year.... i know its very young for somebody to own a uke but id like to introduce it to him at an early age. He already shows great interest in my uke and smiles whikst plucking the strings (too hard but hey hes only 2 and 3/4s!). My aim will be to slowly get him used to the instrument and slowly realise its not a toy but a tool, that produces beautiful sounds. Hopefully in a few years we will see the next big thing in british music emerging through youtube! High hopes? Yes but why not, anything is possibble.

Thanks for reading my life story and please enjoy my improvisation and terrible playing of coldplays "The scientist", renamed "The uke is a science ive not yet mastered!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKZsvcuC00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just realise you have to sing in this so i guess you have to count me out, havent yet learnt to sing along in time yet. Thanks anyway. Joe

Last edited:
Thanks for some great entries.. The uke is ready to ship.. Just needs an address. Hope to get some more entries.. Contest ends soon. Good luck!

Here it is. Enjoy. I was reminded of this great song this weekend when my little one (the one in the video) and I went to Starbucks on Sunday for a hot chocolate and she spilled the entire cup all over the nice leather couch.:eek: I felt rather guilty as I sat there and had my chocolate while this nice young lady had to clean up my kids mess. It was kind of funny how it was pooling under the couch though!
Thanks for this contest! Good luck to all who entered!

Here is our entry to Uke 4 A Kid contest. I didn't make it clear in my statement but Indigo is very deserving of the uke because of her good grades and her love of learning. She's a good kid with a kind heart. We love Dan Zanes and his positive message through music. Anyone can play and everyone can have a their own family band. I think that Moonlit Town really captures the season and just being a kid. Thanks for the great contest and giving me the opportunity to spend this time with my kid making fun music.

Last edited:
Wonderful contest, great entries! :)

Here's our entry for the Uke 4 A Kid Contest! A did a little intro but I failed to mention that I would love for my girls to win this uke because I want to give them something I never had as a kid; a mutual interest we can share and continue to bond with as my daughters grow. My dad tried to get me interested in sports when I was a kid and I just didn't care for it. I think if he and I shared a common interest our bond as father and son would be so much greater. My girls have shown an interest in music which has always been important to me (though learning music has never come easy to me).

We did our intro then tried a take or two and the girls were right on as I tried to sing with them but messed up a few times. They decided to take a break and try the next day and as you can see, they have the singing covered on their own.

Thanks for this wonderful contest. We had a great time with our entry. Here's our cover of Family Tree by Frances England.

I posted my Ibanez Concert in the marketplace awhile ago and didn't get any interest, so I think I'll GIVE IT AWAY to a deserving kid age 12 or under. This forum is such a great community, this is a chance to give something back and put a smile on a deserving child's face. ......

This is a great idea for a contest, and there have been some wonderful entries. I don't want to intrude on this contest, but I have a Makala Dolphin that I'd like to donate as a prize for the first runner-up, if you think it would be appropriate to award a prize to more than one entrant. The Dolphin is lavender, but I could exchange it for a more neutral color if that would work better. Please let me know.

This is a great idea for a contest, and there have been some wonderful entries. I don't want to intrude on this contest, but I have a Makala Dolphin that I'd like to donate as a prize for the first runner-up, if you think it would be appropriate to award a prize to more than one entrant. The Dolphin is lavender, but I could exchange it for a more neutral color if that would work better. Please let me know.

absolutely wonderful if you join in! I'm sending you a PM..

Bob

Winner- free uke 4 a kid contest

Congrats to the Ukuleledaddy family for winning this contest with their song Family Tree! The Ibanez uke will be in the mail (PM sent to get the shipping address).

I hope your girls will enjoy their new uke and that they will post videos of their progress along the way. I'm sure everyone would love to see a video of them opening the prize box.

6 entries and all worthy! This was a very subjective choice and that was tough.. wasn't based on playing or singing ability and almost came down to multiple coin flips or names in the hat.

It is wonderful seeing families enjoying playing and singing together and that's what this was all about! The 'cuteness factor' was off the charts in these entries with the kids.

Everyone else.. the contest may not be over! mds725 has generously offered to award one of the entries with a Dolphin! Good luck!

Bob

Top Bottom