Thread: Buying "old" ukuleles?

Default Buying "old" ukuleles?

Hi,

is it a good idea to buy a ukulele that probably lay more than a year unplayed in a stockroom in the shop? According to the serial number it's from August 2011, brandnew and unplayed.

Dan this badly influence the instrument?

Should I rather buy a really brand new instrument?

Thanks!!

Don't see what problem there should be - the store should still give you a warranty anyway.

If anything, it's probably better, things will have settled down, and strings will probably stay in tune better. I have one that must have been in stock for a while and it barely needs tuning from week to week.
    1:Kauai Black KUS-55 (signed by UOGB) , 2:Eleuke Peanut, 3:Barnes & Mullins Spalt Maple (C)/Aquila Low G, 4:Honu Solid Mango C/Savarez strings, 5:Korala Deluxe Electro Acoustic Cutaway gCEA B, 6:Eddy Finn Bubinga T/Aquila Reds, 7/8:Lidl cheapos S, 9:RISA Solid C, 10:Bryn Munford Custom C, 11:Custom Zebrawood Bruko 6, 12:iUke Piccolo, 13:Aria ACU250, 14:Kala GA-CE, 15:Tiger Union Jack S, 16:Mahalo Union Jack S, 17:Ohana SK-21 Sopranino, 18:Korala Explore Orange
    @Phooto - CoolCatUkes

I also don't know which problems could arise, that's why I ask the community here.

don't know whar should be wrong with it. If the price and the uke are good, buy it.

Ukes have a very long shelf-life if stored in good conditions - like decades - so you should be fine :-)

Thanks for your answers. Good to read a over-a-year-stocking-in-shop doesn't influence a ukulele badly. Yes, both of price and uke are ok.

In many ways instruments tend to be like fine wines, they get better with age (well as long as they are taken care of and not abused). Some of the best sounding ukuleles are Martins from the 1920's and 30's.
    Chris

Soprano: Martin S1, Brüko No. 6, Brüko No. 1 (flat black), Applause UA10 and UAE20 (Adamas Red), Harmony Roy Smeck (with plastic fretboard), ANueNue U900 Bear pineapple, Luna Pineapple Tattoo, Badaax solid mahogany, Flea (Ukelyptus), Kumalae Style 2 (repaired), two old birch Regals, Grizzly Kit, Cigarbox

Concert: Fluke (Island), Ephiphone Les Paul (Vintage Sunburst)

Tenor: Kala KA-TG

Yeah, I read a lot about old Martins. You're all right, I think I gonna buy this baby.

Thread Information