DIY six uke floor rack

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I built this six uke rack a couple of months ago, and meant to post a thread about it, but the thread never happened. The rack is made of 1/2" PVC pipe, pipe fittings and foam pipe insulation.

Construction is inexpensive, fast and easy. The total cost for all the parts at Home Depot was under $14. It took me just about an hour, start to finish, to do the project, once the materials were procured. And it was easy! The pipe gets cut to length, and assembled dry into the fittings. No cement is necessary. The foam is just a little tricky to fit properly, but can be cut with scissors and reworked as needed.

The dimensions are what you want them to be. I wanted mine to hold sopranos, concerts and tenors, and sized it appropriately. Yours could be different, if your ukes are all one size, for example. Mine holds six, although I only own five (see what I did there?), but it would be no trouble at all to scale it up or down to hold more or less.

If you have questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them....

070.jpg071.jpg072.jpg

Aloha Mailman,

Nice rack....I don't say that much though .....for reasons LOL and a very nice collection of ukes you got there....retirement really does bring out your creativeness eh...

Thanks, guys. I can't claim that it's an original idea. I saw a similar unit online, designed for guitars and made with 3/4" PVC. I just made it smaller....

Aloha Mailman,

Nice rack....I don't say that much though .....for reasons LOL and a very nice collection of ukes you got there....retirement really does bring out your creativeness eh...
ha ha...ask mailman if he does bulk orders mate.
:deadhorse:

Do you know if the foam is safe for Nitro finish?

That's an interesting question, to which I have no answer. It didn't even occur to me that the foam might affect a uke's finish. I have not seen any problems, thus far....

Very interesting design. I have a wooden fishing rod rack that is very similar.

Cool ideas.... could you list the materials in breakdown list please?

Cool ideas.... could you list the materials in breakdown list please?

I used a selection of 1/2" PVC pipe fittings:

7- end caps
6- 90 degree elbows
13- tee fittings

I also used 1/2" PVC pipe and 1/2" foam insulation. How much you need will depend on the dimensions you choose. I used 2 lengths of each....

Last edited:
I have one caution with this rack. that is open cell foam. it will eat some finishes. Great idea, I would just cover it with felt.
I am huge DIY fan, just wanted to make sure people did not hurt their ukes. thanks for sharing

nicesuh very nice

I have one caution with this rack. that is open cell foam. it will eat some finishes. Great idea, I would just cover it with felt.
I am huge DIY fan, just wanted to make sure people did not hurt their ukes. thanks for sharing

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware that the open foam could be a problem, but I have had problems with the rubber on commercial (Ingles) wall hangars. It softens with age and damaged the finish on my favorite (and most expensive) custom electric guitar. Since then I have wrapped the rubber with strips torn from old cotton T-shirts. Ugly as all get out but doesn't damage the instruments...

John

Top Bottom