Kanile'a, slight blemish in finish.

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
This isn't even remotely a problem, but I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a similar issue.

On the back, where the heel of the neck meets the body, there is a slight separation in the finish. It's almost as if the neck gloss stops and the body gloss starts.

Like I said, I really don't care, and it's certainly not structural in nature, but I wondered if it's not uncommon.

They might finish them separately. How is the neck attached? Is the neck bolted on?

I highly doubt the neck is bolted on. At least it wasn't on the K1 I owned, nor on any I've ever had the pleasure of holding/playing

I have similar issue on my Kamaka HF-3...there is some 1-2 mm gap running between the heel and the body. It appears as if the lacquer finish does not cover the "gap." I assumed this was not detected at the final quality inspection of the instrument due to good sales. It made me worrisome for many days (it's been about 6 months and it keeps on playing good).

They might finish them separately. How is the neck attached? Is the neck bolted on?

i dont think it is a bolt on neck..my Compass Rose has a bolt on neck not to sure if many other builders do?

Yep, when I first noticed it I thought the finish was cracking too, just like you. However, I've come to realize that this happens on their ukes. It doesn't get any bigger so I wouldn't worry about i.

I have similar issue on my Kamaka HF-3...there is some 1-2 mm gap running between the heel and the body. It appears as if the lacquer finish does not cover the "gap." I assumed this was not detected at the final quality inspection of the instrument due to good sales. It made me worrisome for many days (it's been about 6 months and it keeps on playing good).

Thank f**k for that. I thought I'd either missed it in Scotty's or it'd happened on the plane. As I said, it's not a problem, but it's one of those things that's always at the back of your mind.

Top Bottom