• Tattoo

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Satin

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • Gloss

Votes: 46 53.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer satin overall, so I voted for that. However, I think for certain wood grains or designs, gloss can give an extra pop to the overall look. Tattoos on ukes look pretty cool, but I think I prefer them on my men. ;)

Thanks all for you answer!

I might listen to you and get gloss ;)

Not many tattoo fans by the way ^^

Shiny shiny gloss!

Tattooed ukuleles look inexpensive. Luna makes them and sells the most. an expensive Kanilea tattoo is uncommonly purchased. Didn't even know K made one until this week, but it sure looks like a Luna. Looks laminate, but its a K. Few would buy it (new or used) when, for the same price, one could have a gorgeous gloss and let the wood speak for itself. The resale on one used, as reflected in your survey, would be atrocious, so it's a lifelong keeper (like a real tattoo) for any owner.

Just one theory on why the tattooed uke scored so low in your survey.

Last edited:
Tattooed ukuleles look inexpensive. Luna makes them and sells the most. an expensive Kanilea tattoo is uncommonly purchased. Didn't even know K made one until this week, but it sure looks like a Luna. Looks laminate, but its a K. Few would buy it (new or used) when, for the same price, one could have a gorgeous gloss and let the wood speak for itself. The resale on one used, as reflected in your survey, would be atrocious, so it's a lifelong keeper (like a real tattoo) for any owner.

Just one theory on why the tattooed uke scored so low in your survey.

Think I understand where you're coming from Cool but don't necessarily agree. Personally, I think the fundamental question is satin or gloss. The tattoo is an embellishment, a decoration, just like it is on a person. It's a separate question, not a finish. That's why I didn't pick tattoo. If you want the tattoo, get the tattoo but be aware of and like the finish on the rest of the uke.

Get one of each....and keep the best and sell the other two...hee hee seriously, sorry you cannot try before buy....
Everyone has their own preferences and reasons....we just cannot tell you...it's individual taste...hell we don't even know you..Ha Ha

Out of my 4 Ukes 3 are satin finish but i prefer the gloss.
The one i am waiting for will definitely be gloss.
Unfortunately it's a long long wait ahead of me.
Really it's a personal preference type of thing.

Kanile'a has one of the prettiest gloss finishes ever. If I were buying a Kanile'a it would have to be gloss. But in general I much prefer the feel of satin.

I love the look of the gloss, it just simply makes the wood look better. Plus I like the smooth feel. However the satin is very comfortable and never "sticky" or wet from sweat. However I think the tattoos look bad and cheap. They make a nice uke like a Kanile'a look like a $150 import.

Who cares what we like. Which do YOU like???

Don't buy a Ferrari to impress your friends.

I love the gloss finish on my Kanile'a, but I think it depends on the wood. It looks great with the premium Koa, but I think satin would be better on "plainer" grain.

I like the way the gloss finish ukuleles age... the dinks and knocks do show.. but they add to the 'story' of the instrument.. so its definitely gloss for me

Top Bottom