Help Israel Kamakawiwoʻole win epic Canadian radio battle

collarbone

Reaction score
Britihsh Columbia: Last stop for the Pineapple Exp
Background: On CBC Radio 1 there is a national afternoon show called Shift which is having a contest to determine the greatest recording of "Somewhere over the Rainbow". The contest is to promote a Wizard of Oz themed reality TV show on the CBC. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole finds himself in the semi finals this week versus Eva Cassidy. Should he win he will go on to face Judy "Somewhere Over the Rainblow" Garland. I don't know if he can win the final round, but if we can get the UU voting maybe he can put up a good fight. Please go here: http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/10/SHIFT-and-Over-the-Rainbow-on-October-26-Eva-Cassidy-and-Israel-Kamakawiwoole and cast your vote so I can hear an ukulele on the radio at least once more this year>

Background: On CBC Radio 1 there is a national afternoon show called Shift which is having a contest to determine the greatest recording of "Somewhere over the Rainbow". The contest is to promote a Wizard of Oz themed reality TV show on the CBC. Israel Kamakawiwoʻole finds himself in the semi finals this week versus Eva Cassidy. Should he win he will go on to face Judy "Somewhere Over the Rainblow" Garland. I don't know if he can win the final round, but if we can get the UU voting maybe he can put up a good fight. Please go here: http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/10/SHIFT-and-Over-the-Rainbow-on-October-26-Eva-Cassidy-and-Israel-Kamakawiwoole and cast your vote so I can hear an ukulele on the radio at least once more this year>

Done.....love IZ's version!

Also done!

Yep. Just did my IZ vote.

Done. He's just a bit over 60%.

I don't usually do these kinda things but, for IZ, yeah, done. :)

John

IZ...............not even close.

Aloha all,
I voted for IZ too...let me say, Eva Cassidy has a clean clear crisp voice...and I enjoy her version very much....very sad that they both passed away....

Done. It's down to 61% though.

Aloha all,
I voted for IZ too...let me say, Eva Cassidy has a clean clear crisp voice...and I enjoy her version very much....very sad that they both passed away....

Yes I agree. The host was saying that the song was often recorded by people with tragic lives. Eva Cassidy wasn`t even discovered until after she had passed away.

I voted for IZ

Much as I like Eva Cassidy - I have two of her CDs, I feel she had the phrasing all wrong in places and she takes too many liberties with the melody. Iz's version is more upbeat than most but he handles it superbly and it has a quality all of its own which makes it quite distinctive.

Last edited:
Done.

From three different IP's.

wow, thanks for the link to that... a bit to late to vote but a really enjoyable listen.

Must say I was really moved by Eva. 5 minutes of pure goosebumps and misty eyes. Brilliant and clear voice. I quite like the liberty she has applied to her rendition.

IZ, however... amazing. The man captures the Hawaiian spirit completely with his version. The tenderness and passion that he delivers is incredible.

Top Bottom