Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: krappy bass?

Default krappy bass?

Any opinion about these simple basses?

http://www.krappyguitars.com/index.html

Yup, mostly 2 string and some 3 string basses.

I don't have experience with traditional guitar bass "per se", however I played viol da gamba for years in college (an obscure renaissance bowed 6/7 stringed instrument played in quartet/quintet/sextet) that used skinny gut string for "fret markers" (I thought they were real frets until I started playing ukulele and found out what *real* frets are supposed do). When I sang in front of an orchestra once I got to play with around with a double bass and that was pretty easy to get used to.

I'm just considering grabbing a 2 string fretless to play with, one of their more conservative "punk basses" might be interesting.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 10-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.

I've played bass for 32 years. I looked at their website, and I thought some of them were really cool looking. And the prices are certainly nice! Their EUBs and Touch models looked really interesting.
    And really... do you NEED more than 2 strings on a bass? Well, ok, SOMETIMES I guess you do, but as I've gotten older I've realized that I am never going to be Chris Squire, so my playing has gotten simpler. MOST of the time...
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I don't have an opinion on them, but there's a thread on TalkBass with over 600 posts that may be of help.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/kra...s-klub-469936/

I dunno, they look like Krapp to me. I would spend my money on a regular bass. There are fretless ones available.

You could play the viol da gamba as a bass. We have a local band that uses one for the "bass". Here are some pictures of them.
    http://www.runawaystringband.com/photos.html

Bill
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by KamakOzzie View Post
    I dunno, they look like Krapp to me. I would spend my money on a regular bass. There are fretless ones available.

You could play the viol da gamba as a bass. We have a local band that uses one for the "bass". Here are some pictures of them.
    http://www.runawaystringband.com/photos.html

Bill
    gambas are too rich for my blood. From what I remember a gamba bass starts at like 2500USD or so. Also where I live an instrument like that would be extremely prone to cracking.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 10-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Despite mine, yours, or anyone else's opinion, they do have a bass named the "Hassel-Hofner"... that's got to count for something

Quote Originally Posted by cianoday View Post
    Despite mine, yours, or anyone else's opinion, they do have a bass named the "Hassel-Hofner"... that's got to count for something
    That's AWESOME!!!

Those look like fun!
    Bay View, WI

My grand pa order a one string bass shaped guitars like a shotgun. He might order a travel neck through bass with detachable wings. These guitars would be fun. I did specially for Kevin of Krappy Guitars a week after he delivered my new Twiggy 4 electric upright bass to me.
    Last edited by Fryderyk; 02-25-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Lots of cool bases like these on cigarboxnation.com. Basically electric bass dulcimers. Whether you make with actual cigar box or not, same basic designs.

Thread Information