Just Got a U-Bass - Advice

Hi can someone tell me if the newer ubasses with the built in tuner\ eq\ saddle upgrade have sorted intonation? I would like to get one but if its still hit and miss I'll probably go for older fretless model as its cheaper. Thanks in advance for any advice

Ben

Am considering a Ubass. Attended a workshop this weekend at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway conducted by professional bassist Steve Boisen. His guidance is basically:
1. All the hollowbody Ubasses sound alike, so don't pay extra for solid woods unless you have to have the look.
2. Insure you get a model with a Hipshot tuner as the others are part plastic and likely to break.
3. There's a string installation video on YouTube. Follow it as the strings are far more difficult to install than they look.
4. Steve likes the Pahoehoe strings as he feels the Thunderguts are a little "sticky"
5. Biggest mistake beginning Ubassers make is picking the strings too aggressively. Just barely need to "pick" them with the fingertip.
6. A beginning bassist should avoid the fretless models because it will be harder for them to master. Finger placement on the fretting hand will be far more "critical" than on a fretted bass.

Well, that about exhaust my newly gained knowledge on the subject..

Last edited:
I concur with all the points above. On more than one occasion I've told bass players who are trying out the uBass "it's not a slap bass" as they tend to snap the strings as opposed to setting them in motion to vibrate at first. Maybe because the string tension is more loose when compared to a standard scale electric bass?

I've been playing bass for our mob for about a year.

One caution with playing for groups is that without a drum to keep the beat, I found the other players often slow down to follow the bass and we end up in a weird spiral of them slowing and me trying to keep or work the tempo back up to where we started. They've got better (as have I!) but I often found it a good idea to not let the notes ring but to dampen them into shorter notes with clear rests between, just to keep the tempo running.

Honestly, if you're playing bass with no drums (regardless of your gigging situation), you just need to be confident in your time-keeping; you're driving that bus. With players that aren't as skilled or experienced, any time you start playing on the "back" of the beat, you're going to have them slow down (and opposite with playing "on top of" the beat). In that situation, I play as close to standard as possible, and then use the other two things to help "right the ship" when people are dragging or speeding up.

... but I often found it a good idea to not let the notes ring but to dampen them into shorter notes with clear rests between, just to keep the tempo running.

The rests between the notes are important too. Try playing very short notes sometime (staccato) and listen as others join in the rhythm.

I got the new eMedia Bass Method v 2.0 for my birthday and am hoping for the best. Amazing features. Use a mic on your computer and it gives you feedback on your temp, tuning, on key, use with our without metronome, backing, etc. Like having a private instructor you can start and stop at will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8QK_SzC8GM

Well, I had the money and wanted to replace my UBass, so I just bought the Kala Rumbler. I am curious to see if it will work with my little Pignose 7-100 amp, as my VBass makes a pretty good sound, once the tone and settings are tweaked. The standard UBass needed a bass amp, but the Rumbler has a built in EQ, so it might do the trick. Will find out on Wednesday when it arrives!

The little Pignose 7-100 works with the Rumbler in spades!!!! With the proper adjusting, a very big upright double bass sound is achieved! Thanks Kala, for yet another very affordable instrument. 8vas are perfect as well as the intervals...

Rather cheap build, and mine has a tiny finish flaw, but the way it plays...WOW! I was actually tuning and tweaking after school and gathered a small crowd of students, who could hear me on the other side of the auditorium, with only the Piggy turned up half way. Great and big sound and the electronics make The Rumbler superior to its older brothers!

Rather cheap build, and mine has a tiny finish flaw, but the way it plays...WOW! I was actually tuning and tweaking after school and gathered a small crowd of students, who could hear me on the other side of the auditorium, with only the Piggy turned up half way. Great and big sound and the electronics make The Rumbler superior to its older brothers!

I wasn't sure the small Pignose speaker would handle the uBass, but I stand corrected. I was looking at the Hog-30 to take to Djangofest for my uBass.

Awesome fez, BTW!

It will NOT work with the UBass...you have to have a Rumbler with the EQ. I also have the Hog sitting about 5 feet from me, but you do not need it with the new electronics. Very cool, big sound, from a very small set up. The Piggy 7-100 works quite well with the Rumbler.

Thanks for the fez thumbs up too!

Last edited:
I've got a Pignose Hog 30 and an Ashbory Bass. They work beautifully together. Of course the Ashbory has an active pickup and EQ.

I'm not really a bass player, so when I am jamming with ukes, I usually just do the 1-5 bluegrass thing.

Last edited:
I just love the small footprint and sound with the Rumbler's EQ. Really great axe!!!!

It will NOT work with the UBass...you have to have a Rumbler with the EQ. I also have the Hog sitting about 5 feet from me, but you do not need it with the new electronics. Very cool, big sound, from a very small set up. The Piggy 7-100 works quite well with the Rumbler.

Thanks for the fez thumbs up too!

Why not? Does it need a preamp? I can use my LR Baggs Para DI if that's the problem.

Djangofest NW has a lot of outdoor, small group jamming, and I'm not sure the small Pignose would have have he power to cut through 3-5 guitars sitting on the lawn. My upright would, but I'm not flying with that beast and schlepping it all over Whidbey Island!

My uBass has the old style pickup, which I prefer to the sound of the Rumbler

Why not? Does it need a preamp? I can use my LR Baggs Para DI if that's the problem.

Djangofest NW has a lot of outdoor, small group jamming, and I'm not sure the small Pignose would have have he power to cut through 3-5 guitars sitting on the lawn. My upright would, but I'm not flying with that beast and schlepping it all over Whidbey Island!

My uBass has the old style pickup, which I prefer to the sound of the Rumbler

The original style pickup is why I got rid of mine, in part. The EQ on the Rumbler, as stated above, makes it usable on the smallest amps, like the original Pignose, with a pretty big sound too. Hey, you want to drag that Hog 30 with you, go for it! You want the smaller footprint, you need the EQ on the newer model.

Top Bottom