Tools to start

anonrights

Reaction score
So I wanna build ukes, but not full time. I have a 1/2 inch chisel, a 6-inches block plane, straight edge with right angle, and other simple stuff like a set of files. I am getting a band saw as soon as I clear out the garage. I know I need lots of clamps(I only have 1 c clamp), but what else do I need to build?

this subject has been beaten to death on this forum, probably others too. The search fiunction will yield numerous threads. It is a question that there is really no meaningful answer to. That you own the tools you listed, you probably know enough about tools to have an idea of what tools you might need. What is your budget? That is a big one... how many do you want to make? What are your skills? It is too open ended. Are you starting with a kit?
How much space do you have? Are you married? Is this relationship important to you? Everyone will choose a different 'must have' list. Most, but your own will either seem 'ridiculous', or 'impossible'.

What tools do you want to own?

Personally, I love tools. If you start with a mill, a drill press, a metal lathe, a spoke shave, and a band saw, a stack of various metals and woods, you should be able to make just about everything you need, though it will take some time.

More specifically, choose a kit, maybe ask for a recommendation for one, possibly even based on tooling requirements if you do not want to step up immediately to a CNC fret slot cutter. Then figure out how you want to 'close the gaps' on the necessary tasks. What you can not buy, can probably be accounted for in some other way. Narrow down your needs, then figure out your tooling...

Best of luck! ( I am a beginner builder too... )

Intention can get you far.... Go for it!

Last edited:
a wooden cigar box, a pre-made neck, a bridge and some strings are usually enough to get the urge to build out of one's system.

I'm new to uke building but I don't know what I'd do without all the tools I already have. (bandsaw, thickness planer, jointer, drum sander, drill press, router, spindle sanding setup)

Keep that in mind, there's more than one way to do things. I picked up a stack of books and all had similar but different methods.

Lumber is a big deal, you have to buy it milled if you don't have the tools for that.

I've been taking the approach of breaking down the process and the different jigs I'd need. I.E. I started with a spindle sanding setup for my drill press to sand templates down, then a flush trim bit for my router...

I've also started building a list of all the special hand tools that I come across in the books and tutorials. I look for alternatives, if there isn't an alternative that I already have I've been buying stuff slowly.

I hope to have a uke on my bench soon. I've been building a side bender. Next is radius dish and a go bar deck.

Good Luck, there's a lot of info on here (I've killed hours researching just on this site).

The person who dies with the most tools wins :iwant:

On the other hand I was absolutely gobsmacked by what this guy has made on his lounge-room floor using a few chisels, files, a plastic handled mini rasp, a drill, sandpaper, a few clamps and the odd bit of mammoth ivory.:drool::drool::iwant:

http://www.crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/instrum.html

Alter your goals based on the tools you have - or dare to dream with the tools you have.

A few good guides here on the instructables site:
http://www.instructables.com/id/All-Things-Uke/

You can spend a lot of money with all the suggestions you'll get!! I'd say start by thinking how you want to do each step in the build process and compare it to the tools you have or tools you can borrow. There's usually 5 or 6 common ways to do each step...from hand tools to CNC machines, so think about what works for you.

Thanks. What I'm seeing is mostly I should get more clamps first. Then a thickness sander would be nice.
-coolkayaker1: Thanks for the tip, which I understand the logic behind, but I have almost finished a solid body electric uke which I shaped the neck myself and I think I did a reasonable job. I will grant that I learned sooooo much, and i'm glad I did a "low stakes" build first, but I'm sure I'll be able to say that after every build I do for the rest of my life ;)

A thickness sander is a tool I would not want to work without. Great tool. After mine had been with me for 4 years, I sold the planer, realized I had only used it a few times since then.

One thing to keep in mind, it is not what tools do you have that is important, but what tools can you use proficiently. Acquiring any given tool hardly assures success. A router/laminate trimmer is very nice for binding instruments, but in unskilled hands can ruin more good wood faster than you can imagine. My point is, anyone thinking about seriously building instruments should already have a fair amount of woodworking experience. Getting any tool to do what you intend only comes with practice. And for that reason, kits are a very good introduction to building.

Brad

Top Bottom