Season 40 of the Ukulele - It's only Rock 'n' Roll

if sort-of multitracking is allowed for instrumentals, how about for people? Like, would it be possible to record the voice and the uke separately? Only because I'm going for the high G and I can't sing and play that at the same time.

if sort-of multitracking is allowed for instrumentals, how about for people? Like, would it be possible to record the voice and the uke separately? Only because I'm going for the high G and I can't sing and play that at the same time.

I assume you mean that you are aiming to sing a high G which is at the top of your vocal range? I think I can allow that.

Can I make a suggestion, though. I had a similar problem trying to sing El Condor Pasa. The arrangement I had needed a high G (coincidentally). Though I could reach the note, it was pushing it. In the end I tuned the uke down a tone (to Bb tuning - F Bb D G) which meant I could play the same chord shapes but sing it a tone lower so the top note was F rather than G. I found that worked well as you got the same chord voicings and the lower tuning actually gave the uke a more mellow tone. Think about it.

If you go for the separate voice and accompaniment, can you lip sync the final video? It should look OK then.

I assume you mean that you are aiming to sing a high G which is at the top of your vocal range? I think I can allow that.

Can I make a suggestion, though. I had a similar problem trying to sing El Condor Pasa. The arrangement I had needed a high G (coincidentally). Though I could reach the note, it was pushing it. In the end I tuned the uke down a tone (to Bb tuning - F Bb D G) which meant I could play the same chord shapes but sing it a tone lower so the top note was F rather than G. I found that worked well as you got the same chord voicings and the lower tuning actually gave the uke a more mellow tone. Think about it.

If you go for the separate voice and accompaniment, can you lip sync the final video? It should look OK then.

It's not the note that's the problem, it's just that I can't play and be high at the same time, there's just too much to concentrate on and everything winds up falling apart. I'll try double-tracking it and see if that works, I've never tried it before. Hooray! Project for the week!

And I was thinking I'd either edit the two together or just have the video with the singing. Is that alright? I feel weird about lip-syncing.

Last edited:
All right- what do we have for these fine people tonight?
Sweet Little 16, released by Chuck Berry, January 1958. Chuck only had one hit that charted higher (this reached number 2), and that was "My Ding-A-Ling", which I simply can not do while keeping any semblance of decorum...so yeah, you all get this one instead.

Off to Hobart for a few days tonight so had to get something done quick. Here's a bash at "Everyday", a big hit for Buddy Holly and the Crickets in 1957. Have a great week everyone and big thanks to Geoff for hosting another fun week. :)

Geoff, please accept this as my official "entry" and make "Blueberry Hill" a bonus. Cheers mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbglo-8WRk&feature=youtu.be
Contours 1962
If this is too Motown and not enough Rock and Roll let me know.
Jazzbanjorex

Motown is fine. I was a bit of a fan myself, there were some great Motown songs. This was good, I really loved the wild bit at the end. You really needed the uke plugged in with a sustain pedal so you could hit the chord then twirl your arm while the sustain did the work :iwant:

All right- what do we have for these fine people tonight?
Sweet Little 16, released by Chuck Berry, January 1958. Chuck only had one hit that charted higher (this reached number 2), and that was "My Ding-A-Ling", which I simply can not do while keeping any semblance of decorum...so yeah, you all get this one instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xnru--t-o&feature=youtu.be

Chuck Berry. Great - and one of his classic songs. Great job and you definitely qualify for an instrumental bonus. That was really good.

Off to Hobart for a few days tonight so had to get something done quick. Here's a bash at "Everyday", a big hit for Buddy Holly and the Crickets in 1957. Have a great week everyone and big thanks to Geoff for hosting another fun week. :)

Geoff, please accept this as my official "entry" and make "Blueberry Hill" a bonus. Cheers mate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN5bA3hu24k

First Buddy Holly and an excellent choice. Well done as always. I will change the playlists over. Done. Oh and bonus point for instrumental break.

Enjoy yourself in the Big City. :music:

Last edited:
It's not the note that's the problem, it's just that I can't play and be high at the same time, there's just too much to concentrate on and everything winds up falling apart. I'll try double-tracking it and see if that works, I've never tried it before. Hooray! Project for the week!

And I was thinking I'd either edit the two together or just have the video with the singing. Is that alright? I feel weird about lip-syncing.

Edit the two together, that'll be fine.

BTW, your week seems to have had an effect. I'm seeing entries with drumming on the uke as part of the song. Give yourself a pat on the back. :music:

Last edited:
Yakity Yak

Yakety Yak" is a song written, produced, and arranged by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller for The Coasters and released on Atlantic Records in 1958, spending seven weeks as #1 on the R&B charts and a week as number one on the Hot 100 pop list.

Yakety Yak" .......

Oh, that has got to be one of the best videos you've uploaded WGY - superb!!! The overkill reverb was perfect for that song and your delivery.

Would those mushy peas be the ones illustrated being cooked on your head in your avatar? :)

Here's some of that instrumental action; not very polished but I can't give it any more time right now.. I'm embarrassed at how many hours it took to get to this point.
While there are tons of flaws in this, I am breaking my arm patting myself on the back for getting it done. I'm so happy to have an excuse to learn it. Thanks Geoff!

A patchy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_(instrumental)

Rock on seasonistas!

Yakety Yak" is a song written, produced, and arranged by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller for The Coasters and released on Atlantic Records in 1958, spending seven weeks as #1 on the R&B charts and a week as number one on the Hot 100 pop list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooK5SrSa4ls

Loved it. Liked the moothie in the background, nice touch. And I agree with Barbablanca, the reverb is spot on and is right for the period. I remember this well and I used to love the Sax break in the middle.

Here's some of that instrumental action; not very polished but I can't give it any more time right now.. I'm embarrassed at how many hours it took to get to this point.
While there are tons of flaws in this, I am breaking my arm patting myself on the back for getting it done. I'm so happy to have an excuse to learn it. Thanks Geoff!

A patchy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNkS6nk9wc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_(instrumental)

Rock on seasonistas!

Absolutely great! Well done Peewee for going for it. That definitely deserves a bonus point. Nicely done with the accompaniment, you definitely captured the spirit of the original. I was a little surprised at your choice - pleasantly so - as I did not think that Apache really made it in the USA. It was a big hit over here, OTOH. I was watching a video about Mark Knopfler recently and he cited Hank Marvin as one of his influences and there was a follow up video of the two of them performing together. Anyway excellent choice and well done.

Just read the Wikepedia article and I see it was a big hit for someone else in the USA and the actual tune has been hugely influential subsequently. Interesting.

Last edited:
@Peewee Where was the shadows cross-over leg step? Apache is not complete without that move.

Absolutely great! Well done Peewee for going for it. That definitely deserves a bonus point. Nicely done with the accompaniment, you definitely captured the spirit of the original.
Thanks Geoff! I know it as a surf music fan, every band played/plays it, notably Dick Dale and also the Ventures. I stole most of the harmonic ideas and the swish-swish thing from them.
peewee and Apache - Wow! That was FANTASTIC.
Never mind the not very polished - it was SHINY!
Thanks !
@Peewee Where was the shadows cross-over leg step? Apache is not complete without that move.
When I get the finger moves down, I'll work on the stepping! Thanks also your Yakity Yak is epic. Leiber and Stoller deserve a week of their own.

My try...
Wild Cow blues also known as Milk Cow blues, or Milk Cow blues boogie is an old blues from the '30 but was also used for Boogie and Rock by :
Elvis Presley in 1955, Eddie Cochran in 1960 and later : the Kinks, Aerosmith and many others...

My version is probably closer to the old blues than the rock versions... Anyway it was fun to do it !!!

Banjolele tune in baryton, low D (living waters strings)

Top Bottom