Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate B flat

It all depends on what chord you're transitioning to as to where to play on the FB. Honestly, the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll be with it.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post
    There's folks who'll play a Gm7 in lieu of A# (Bb) . . .
    this is a good alternative and does'nt sound that different, good shout Kanaka
    SOPRANO Kala Solid Mahogany SMHS, KoAloha Pikkake,

CONCERT Kala Flamed Maple FMC, Honu Solid Hawaiian Mango,

TENOR Kala Jazz Top, Mainland Red Cedar, Pete Howlett Cherry Marmite, Mahon Custom Cedar Top Solid Wood Electro Acoustic

BARITONE Lani LB-55CEQ Solid Spruce Top

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/#!/richard.gent2

I find the less you think about making the chord shape the easier it becomes
    SOPRANO Kala Solid Mahogany SMHS, KoAloha Pikkake,

CONCERT Kala Flamed Maple FMC, Honu Solid Hawaiian Mango,

TENOR Kala Jazz Top, Mainland Red Cedar, Pete Howlett Cherry Marmite, Mahon Custom Cedar Top Solid Wood Electro Acoustic

BARITONE Lani LB-55CEQ Solid Spruce Top

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/#!/richard.gent2

First - try the full finger barre - that's probably already been recommended.

Second, have your uke setup checked. If it's really hard to barre at the first fret, and especially if the chord actually sounds bad, some or even all of the nut slots may be too high. Makes it hard to finger and pulls the tuning sharp at the first couple of frets.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Bb is a moveable chord. Try moving it up one fret at a time. At the 2nd fret it'd be a B chord, at the 3rd a C, etc.

If it gets easier as you go up the neck, I'd also suspect a nut issue like OldePhart said.

But is it an issue with the nut holding the strings, or with the nut holding the ukulele?

See what I did there?
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

I'd go with the nut holding the ukulele as its the same problem with a Mainland or a KoAloha. the constant to the problem is me.
    Mainland Mango concert
    KoAloha Longneck soprano Pineapple
    Outdoor Ukulele (#28) soprano
    Canora (Canadian school system) soprano
    Kala travel soprano
    Wolfelele soprano
    Islander tenor
    Pono MT tenor
    Kala soprano banjo ukulele
    Pono Acacia tenor electric
    Pono Acacia baritone (BN-1)

Everybody else does B flat. I do B phlat!!

Sorry Bob, I was just joking. You'll get the hang of it. Just drop your wrist so you can arch your 2nd & 3rd fingers cleanly over the first two strings and press your fingertips straight down on the 3rd & 4th strings. Maybe practice making an 'A' chord with your 2nd & 3rd fingers, then move it up one fret and grab the first two strings with your 1st finger (or bar all four strings at the 1st fret). Also, try to relax and not contort your left hand or press too hard.

I had a similar problem with the 'E' chord for a long time, but then it just started coming to me, and now I can grab it cleanly (most of the time).
    Last edited by Steedy; 11-22-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: or bar all four strings...
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

As Steed says, it's mostly having the wrist in the proper position. Try making the chord shape with different angles of the wrist and raising or lowering the uke to get the proper angle.

And as John suggested; get your uke setup if it hasn't been done professionally. If you bought it off the rack and is not from someone like HMS, Mims or Uke Republic, it probably hasn't been setup outside of the factory. Usually the factories set their action higher than necessary.

I like a radiused fretboard very much but it's mainly for barring up the neck. I doubt it would help making a Bb first position. Ya need to strengthen up those fingers; that's done with practise.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 11-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kauaijim View Post
    Start doing a spider exercise daily. I couldn't hit it for years...YEARS...until I did spiders three times a day for two months. Thanks to Hal Kinneman my teacher on Kauai. Great teacher.
    Hadn't heard of those. I knew a few other exercises. Thanks for the tip. I just looked up a video on it.
    I will be doing spider exercises now.

Thread Information