Beginner Electric Guitar

oahugrl

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a beginner electric guitar/amp set up?

I have played guitar for over 50 years, but it is hard to recommend anything without knowing your price range and the type of music you will be playing.
A little more info and I could give you some better recommendations.

One of the Squier Packs would be nice for a low cost beginning set up.
The guitars are very playable and the amps are at least decent, but low powered. The amp is fine for home use though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lecaster-electric-guitar-pack-w-15g-amplifier

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...tocaster-electric-guitar-pack-w-10g-amplifier

Last edited:
The Yamaha above is another good suggestion. They are also nice beginner instruments.
I would add that that one and the Squier Stratocaster both have tremolos and may not be the best thing for a beginner, due to tuning issues and set ups.
All this still depends on the type of music you plan to play and your budget. That could change everything.

I would like to spend between $300-$400 dollars. I am leaning toward the Yamaha Pacifica models. I already have a Fender amp.
As always, UU folks are the best!

Aloha Oahugirl,
For a first guitar I might look for something used. You may be able to get a nicer instrument for less $. Then when you are sure you want to stick with it you may want to spend a little bit more. Often inexpensive instruments may be more difficult to play and can discourage a beginner. If you know anyone that teaches guitar ask them if they have any students that may be getting a new instrument you might be able to buy their old one. I got my first two guitars this way, and I ended up with nicer guitars than I would have if I were just shopping for inexpensive beginner guitars. I still have one of them - a 1980s Aria Pro II RS Black stratocaster style with dual humbucking pickups.

Used for a beginner may not be the best thing. Pots could be getting scratchy, frets could be worn, switch could be about to fail. New eliminates that and has a warranty.

With your budget I would be looking at the Squier CV (Classic Vibe) series guitars. Great guitars for the money and get rave reviews on the guitar forums. There are guys buying those and then selling their MIM Fenders. (Made in Mexico). You really should try those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom