Bernunzio Whyte Laydie 5-String Banjo

zac987

Reaction score
$1100 shipped CONUS.

I very recently purchased this banjo from a Banjo Hangout member. I've made a few purchases too many over the last few months, and I honestly got a little ahead of myself. So I'm forced to sell a few banjos.

That said, this is a great little banjo. I'm a little neurotic about condition and playability, so take it from me. I'm new at clawhammer, and I've only learned around 10 tunes so far. This banjo makes me sound a lot better than I am. If you'd like me to take a video, I could do that. The video with Adam Hurt playing this type of banjo does it a far greater justice than I could.

This is in as-new condition, minus a bit of dirt on the head (as expected). I would recommend putting on medium strings over the lighter gauge strings currently on them. It sounds great as is, though.

Some of these pictures are from the original seller's listing, as he did a good job of showing the banjo through pictures. I'm not very good at photography. If you want any more pictures, let me know. The condition has not changed whatsoever from the original seller's post.

It comes with the original bump case. It's a REALLY nice case.

Here's Bernunzio's description:

"This is a recreation of the 1903 A. C. Fairbanks Whyte Laydie No. 2. It is made directly from an extant example and mimics the original in every way with the exception of geared tuners. This banjo is a project that has been three years in the making. The banjos are made by Eastman Strings, Inc. exclusively for Bernunzio Uptown Music. The rim is light weight, 3/8" thick and 10-3/4"in diameter. The scale length is 26". All of the materials are as per original with maple neck and rim and ebony fingerboard. It is as good a playing banjo as anyone could ever ask for."

whytelaydie1.jpgwhytelaydie2.jpgwhytelaydie3.jpgwhytelaydie4.jpgwhytelaydie5.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man. I feel so stupid, lol. I forgot to list the price. It's up there now.

That's a whole lot better than $8000 for an original. I'd love to have it, but too close to Christmas. Good luck. Someone is going to love it!

Bill

That's a whole lot better than $8000 for an original. I'd love to have it, but too close to Christmas. Good luck. Someone is going to love it!

Bill

I was hoping someone would want this as a Christmas present to themselves! Lol. Well, if no one claims it this time around, I'll let you know after the Holiday Season.

I think I know something about the actual banjo they copied :) A former student of mine owned it. Nice banjo.

Doug

Top Bottom