How to add straps to hard case?

Freeda

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some traveling soon where I'll want to have my hard case, but want to be hands free.

Anyone know how to add straps to a hard case? I'm thinking backpack style, just not sure how to affix them.

Please do not buy the Footman Loops! I need to know some numbers. How high or how low do you want the case to be? Obviously, if you wear it really low it will be an impediment to walking. What size of a ukulele are you carrying? What is the composition of the case? Plastic? Cardboard? Wood? That matters for how you will attach the straps. From the bottom of where you want the straps to be, to the top attachment point, how far is that? Now for the really, really important number: From those two attachment points, how long is needed to get from upped to lower after going around you? Most straps are made for children, it seems, because they don't fit around my 5'4"tall, 155#with a 40" chest.
What colour do you want the straps to be? It depends on what material your case is, for me to tell you how easy it is to sew on the four anchor points.
If you will pay the $5.35 for the small priority mail box, I will send you the anchor loops, straps and snaps, and the heavy thread for attaching the anchor loops to the case.

I have been making all sorts of things from fabric or leather since 1964. I have been teaching upholstery classes since 1988, so helping you know how to sew through
the case will not be difficult. I kayak with a couple of my ukuleles.

Will you allow me to help you? WDT Salem, Oregon be?

Do not buy Foot Loops, please. I will help you to be able to do it correctly, the same way I would do it for you if you brought it to my shop. I have been doing this sort of stuff professionally since 1974. I need to ask you a bunch of questions
which will bore the rest of the readers, so contact me at thecraftedcow@comcast.net if you want to do it under supervision. The only cost will be 5.35 so I can send it all to you in a Priority Box. I have 16 different colours of the strapping material. I can scan my sample card, and you can choose which one you want. I have the clips and the anchor points you will need to do it right.
If you are willing to learn how to do it, I am willing to teach you how. I have taught Adult Education upholstery classes since 1988. wdt

Do not buy Foot Loops, please.

I hope they find the best way to do it, but I am curious why you would be opposed to foot loops. If installed correctly and in a craftsman type manner, they work very well. There may be a better way certainly, but you seem very opposed to foot loops. I am just curious as to why would they not work? I never used them on a case like this, but have used them on many things with straps, and if done right with some thought, work well, and look just as well.

Thanks folks! It's a busy week at work but I will take a look at those options as soon as I get some time to breathe! :)

It sounds to me like your best option would be taking TCC up on his offer. Sounds like he has done stuff like that for some time. If you do go the foot loop route though, be sure to get proper hardware as to not rub your uke. If they are bradded or rivited in place, or however they would attach, be sure to add something soft as a friction pad on the inside so no metal hardware comes in contact with your uke.

Buy a cheap rucksack that's long enough to take your case. The added benefit is, you'll also end up with a rucksack.

Buy a cheap rucksack that's long enough to take your case. The added benefit is, you'll also end up with a rucksack.

What is this 'rucksack' you speak of? Surely you mean 'backpack' or 'knapsack'?

Sorry to hijack, couldn't resist. UK/USA - Divided by a common language. ;D

Top Bottom