Hey New England forumers: Christmas Tree Shop Ukes are back!

greyghost

Reaction score
Two years ago they had no-name Chinese sopranos for $9.99. Today I was in the shop in Manchester CT, and they have Kawasaki-branded ones for that price. They're wood(ish), finished in red with a Flea-esque molded plastic fingerboard and friction tuners. I took one out and was able to verify that with a string change, it should be playable and sound at least as good as anything else in the under-$30 price range. The string change will be vital--whatever they're strung with, it looks sort of Aquila-like but all strings have the texture of wound strings. Just plain weird. I think I'll have to get a couple as projects.

In nz these are strictly toys, however if you feel the need to you could replace both the fret board and the bridge and have something playable. Major effort for ugly ply wood though

Just my 2. Cents ( not to be negative more to be honest)

Cheers from nz

Cliff

Well of course it's a toy--for under 10 bucks, I certainly wasn't suggesting it would be a serious professional-grade instrument. As a toy, it might be fun to mess with, as many forumers often seem eager to do with such instruments. It won't pose any serious replacement danger to my nicer ukes, but as a platform for experimentation, the price is right.

My apologies for any apparent snarkiness in that response--as my signature list suggests, I like nice ukes AND messing around with really cheap ones. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that accompanies making a genuinely musical sound with what appears to be a total POS. :cool:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong having some fun for ten bucks..ha ha plus the new strings.. Happy strummings...

Thanks

I wondered if they could be worth the money, since I don't really have enough to throw away! I appreciate knowing they could be pretty good. For my grandchildren, of course!

I'd spend $40 on a more mainstream cheapie uke.
For the 12 & 8 year old, but not the 3 year old. And at that age, if he sees his sister with one & he doesn't have similar...
Plus I really wanted a toy to fart around on & try out lowering the action. I think I can do it, I'm crafty!

Top Bottom