Kanaloa KC Concert Ukulele

ajlende

Reaction score
So I am going to buy my first ukulele. I know that I want to get a concert sized one, and I've heard a lot about the Kala KA-C, and the Lanikai LU-21C. They both sound like they would be a great first choice, but I also found the Kanaloa KC Concert Ukulele here, and I was wondering if it is any good.

Never heard of them. They are probably made in the same Chinese factory as Kala or Lanikai, but I'd still with the latter two since they have known quality control. Both the Kala and the Lanikai will run you about the same price but you get the advantage of getting a uke properly set up if you buy from one of the recommended vendors on line here (HMS, Uke Republic, MIM, ext.).

The Lanikai LU-21C was my first uke - I bought it from an "other than dedicated ukulele dealer" (Amazon.com if I remember right). It definitely needed a setup - for me that wasn't an issue as I've been setting up my own guitars for quite a while - but if you don't have the tools and knowledge you definitely want to buy from a dedicated uke dealer like those mentioned. (That goes for any of the ukes in this price range - the name on the headstock means far less than who you buy it from.)

That said, once I set it up and gave the body and top and fretboard a good coat of wax (the finish is pretty rough on some of these) it became a good little beginner's instrument. Not super loud but decent intonation and easy to play. My wife still has it.

John

Thanks for the input. I hadn't really thought about setup at all.

Never heard of them. They are probably made in the same Chinese factory as Kala or Lanikai, but I'd still with the latter two since they have known quality control. Both the Kala and the Lanikai will run you about the same price but you get the advantage of getting a uke properly set up if you buy from one of the recommended vendors on line here (HMS, Uke Republic, MIM, ext.).
Actually made in Indonesia; I feel better quality than China.

Top Bottom