Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: How do I remove Black mold from amp tolex

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    I do appreciate your input tho and Thanks for the offer of info that you know and are able to suggest..
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Are you sure that is mold? If it is, it's probably in between the tolex and the plywood bottom too. Either way, I would be tempted to cut out the tolex on the bottom leaving an inch or so over lapping, or at least cut a slit to see if the ply is rotten or damaged. If you take a small hammer and tap on the bottom are there any soft spots? It looks like it was sitting on a concrete floor for years and had water/dampness condensing on it. May not be mold but water damage.

    I would float your questions to this guy.

    http://www.vintage-amp.com/

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markr1 View Post
    It sounds and feels solid when I tap on it and there is no sign of damage when I look at the bottom from the inside. After looking at it again I guess the only part that may concern me about being mold are the black spots. The brown parts are probably okay I would guess but there again I don't know for sure. I would hate to cut out a part of the tolex if I didn't have to. I wouldn't have a problem taking a blade to it and splitting it a little to check which I'm probably going to end up having to do anyway to get some glue in there to get the tolex back down. I am going to wait to hear a pretty for sure confirmation from someone before I do go and do anything. I've learned over the years with things like this if you don't know then don't do it unless someone that does know tells you otherwise.

    I hear ya there, patience is a virtue! That guy at vintage amps may be able to fit you a new piece of tweed on the bottom without recovering the whole thing. Anything would look better then what it looks like now.

    I used to work on wood boats/yachts for years when I lived in Southern California. Restored quite a few too. If I had a dollar for every square foot of rotten mold infested marine plywood sub-decks I've seen, I'd be a wealthy man right now
    Last edited by Skinny Money McGee; 12-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    I just now saw the site you posted at the bottom. If I can't get help here I'll probably send him a message. Thanks for that. I believe there is someone here that knows tho because there's not much that he doesn't know from what I gather from his previous posts I've read. If he says it I feel he's 100% correct or he wouldn't say it.
    I don't know him personally but I do know he's got a lot of knowledge when it comes to music and musical instruments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Are you sure that is mold? If it is, it's probably in between the tolex and the plywood bottom too. Either way, I would be tempted to cut out the tolex on the bottom leaving an inch or so over lapping, or at least cut a slit to see if the ply is rotten or damaged. If you take a small hammer and tap on the bottom are there any soft spots? It looks like it was sitting on a concrete floor for years and had water/dampness condensing on it. May not be mold but water damage.

    I would float your questions to this guy.

    http://www.vintage-amp.com/

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX, USA
    Posts
    8,342

    Default

    This is just a guess because it's hard to tell from a photograph but that looks to me like a case of varnished tweed. I think most of the tweed coverings that early were actually cloth, but it wasn't unusual for guys to shellac or varnish them.

    If it was varnished after the mold started then all the scrubbing in the world is not going to remove it.

    Also, just because a mold is black doesn't mean it's the dangerous stuff. The dangerous mold is black and fuzzy or powdery and the reason it is so dangerous is because it gets into the air and is easily breathed. If this stuff is underneath a coat of varnish then it is likely not even live mold but the remnants of what was there when the varnish was applied.

    In any case it's certainly worth investigating the chances of removing it without damaging the amp but I don't think I'd panic and do something that would damage the value of that old beauty.

    Actually...I just went back and looked at the pictures again. I knew something didn't look right... I'm pretty sure that this amp has been recovered - all except the bottom panel. Unless it's a trick of the camera there is a drastic difference in both texture and color between the bottom panel and the side panels. If the amp has been recovered (and apparently with a modern "tweed tolex" such as that used on new Peavey amps) then the collector value has already been damaged and you might as well have the bottom panel recovered to match.

    John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

    Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Thanks John, I appreiciate the response. I think your not exactly right about the tweed thing. This is the way the old Gibson amps were. They were made to look like tweed but never actually had a real tweed covering on it. It also has not ever been recovered in its lifetime. This is the original covering. Maybe the photos are deceiving. I may not know what to do about this problem but what I do know is my vintage Fender and Gibson amps. Early Fender amps were in real tweed but not Gibson. I'm not trying to piss you off but I can tell you just about anything you want to know about these vintage amps Fender and Gibson as I have had many over the years and it and the covering is original. As I said I'm just not sure what to do about this problem with this. I agree with you that it's probably not a bad mold and maybe it won't scrub off but I'm still waiting for an expert to let me know what I need to do about it.



    Last edited by Markr1; 12-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Just thought I would add a few more pics of the original tweed looking tolex. These are both 1959 Gibson amps. The one on the right is the 59 Explorer Ga18T. The one on the left is a 59 Gibsonette GA-8 with yellowish blonde tolex covering.





    Last edited by Markr1; 12-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    I got some SOS pads today to possibly try on this monster!!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,255

    Default

    Hi Mark. If that is synthetic you might want to go to a local boat store and get the mildew remover that they sell for vinyl. It works well on boat seats and isn't expensive. Just a though.

    Good luck

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Thanks Vanflyn. I think you may have just hit it out of the ballpark on that answer. That was simple enough. I'll check it out. I do still need to know about the glueing part tho. Do I put a small slit in the tolex or not to get some glue in there??
    Quote Originally Posted by vanflynn View Post
    Hi Mark. If that is synthetic you might want to go to a local boat store and get the mildew remover that they sell for vinyl. It works well on boat seats and isn't expensive. Just a though.

    Good luck

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    2,695

    Default

    It is entirely possible that the tweed was adhered with a form of hide glue, and if so, then the glue is "food" for mold. I think the suggestion of a an anti-mold product from a boating store is great. At least it's the bottom of the amp.

    Great amplifier, though!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •