Mainland vs. Maton--anyone played both?

devvyleys

Reaction score
Hi there all, I'm in Australia and looking for my second uke. I really don't know how I've managed to keep myself at one for all this time, but UAS has really hit now and I don't think I can get out of it this time.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has played and/or owned both a Mainland mahogany (preferably concert) and a Maton Blackwood. There's a real difference in price, and I don't have a chance to try them both out anytime soon. Best I can do is pack up my little kids (real kids, not ukes!) and get over to one of two guitar shops in Sydney that look promising for getting a Maton. That, in tight spaces with tons of tempting guitars worries me with my toddler & baby. :eek: The first chance I could try out a Mainland would be when visiting my family in the US in July and then taking a 6 hour drive to see Mike at Uke Republic.

For a little background, I've got a Makai solid spruce top concert and I'd like my next uke to sound warmer & richer without losing too much volume and without being too mellow.

I'm sure I can't lose with a Mainland, and even if I couldn't wait until July, postage to Australia would still be half the price of the Maton. But to get that means no to the Maton, probably for a long time and quite possibly never if we move back to the US. For the Maton, I'd have to spend a few months saving money to justify that spend.

So, can anyone give some advice and/or experience?

I've played the Maton a few times in store - it really is a great sounding uke.
Very loud, open and sweet tone, simple and classical appearance.
They also come with a hardcase.

I haven't played a Mainland before though..

But I do agree that the Matons are really expensive.

Hi there all, I'm in Australia and looking for my second uke. I really don't know how I've managed to keep myself at one for all this time, but UAS has really hit now and I don't think I can get out of it this time.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has played and/or owned both a Mainland mahogany (preferably concert) and a Maton Blackwood. There's a real difference in price, and I don't have a chance to try them both out anytime soon. Best I can do is pack up my little kids (real kids, not ukes!) and get over to one of two guitar shops in Sydney that look promising for getting a Maton. That, in tight spaces with tons of tempting guitars worries me with my toddler & baby. :eek: The first chance I could try out a Mainland would be when visiting my family in the US in July and then taking a 6 hour drive to see Mike at Uke Republic.

For a little background, I've got a Makai solid spruce top concert and I'd like my next uke to sound warmer & richer without losing too much volume and without being too mellow.

I'm sure I can't lose with a Mainland, and even if I couldn't wait until July, postage to Australia would still be half the price of the Maton. But to get that means no to the Maton, probably for a long time and quite possibly never if we move back to the US. For the Maton, I'd have to spend a few months saving money to justify that spend.

So, can anyone give some advice and/or experience?

How much is a Maton Concert? Maton only makes a concert size, don't they? I would like to be able to try one out too.

Top Bottom