Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Johnson for Ukulele

Default Robert Johnson for Ukulele

Anyone had their hands on this book?

It's got the same photo on the cover and the same sepia tint as the "RJ for Guitar" published recently and considered difficult, but definitive. But that says nothing, because there aren't that many photos considered authentic of the author of Come on in my Kitchen....

So, anyone actually held it in their hands and thought of heading down to the Crossroads with it?

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

Wow,that is cool!

Now THAT would be a Book I'd buy.

I just don't get the RJ thing, and white middle class folks in 2012 shouldn't be singing about how hard it is working in the cotton field BECAUSE THEY DON"T WORK IN THE COTTON FIELDS - It's a complete travesty - like the house of blues.

In fact, it's on US AMazon for $12.23, so I just did. I love those songs, and have CDs from Allman Bros to Clapton to other bluesman covering RJ. Plus, somewhere here (digs around in CD box) I have the complete Johnson box set. Thanks you, B, for mentioning this. Very much.

Webby, I sing about the working poor in homage to those that built this country, and in respect to their original tunes, not because I am one of them.

I'm not Chubby Checker, Elton John or Thelonius Monk, either, but I savage their original tunes just as brutally.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 12-11-2012 at 02:11 PM.

I just got it last night. It's excellent. Believable renditions of some incredible music. The ukulele translates these songs well. One observation is that many of these songs are in the same key and have a similar structure. That's good and bad. Once you learn some of the riffs, many of the songs sound very similar, but you do quickly learn a lot of songs and you really get to explore a couple keys in detail. You do have to be familiar with the music. There are songs were the notes are sparse and it is all about syncopation, timing and feel.

Definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    I just don't get the RJ thing, and white middle class folks in 2012 shouldn't be singing about how hard it is working in the cotton field BECAUSE THEY DON"T WORK IN THE COTTON FIELDS - It's a complete travesty - like the house of blues.
    Ummm... Because guys like Robert Johnson,Blind Willie Johnson, Howlin Wolf,leadbelly,muddy waters,John Lee Hooker, etc. were part of the core of what makes most music what it is. For example,howlin wolf and the rolling stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFjY...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by Newportlocal; 12-11-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Adding link

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    To each his own, but the blues has nothing to do with working the cotton fields. It has to do with embracing your adversity and finding away to celebrate it. Not sure what kind of music you listen to, but if it is anything even remotely pop from over the past 60 years, chances are it is heavily influenced by this music. Wouldn't be to hard to make a direct connection to Jake S, easy to see the influence in the music of James Hill.

I see where you are coming from Webby. Nothing worse then a poser, but this is just music that makes a lot of sense to me and I think really transcends issues of culture, race and time.

It's on my Xmas list so no, not yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbablanca View Post
    Anyone had their hands on this book?

It's got the same photo on the cover and the same sepia tint as the "RJ for Guitar" published recently and considered difficult, but definitive. But that says nothing, because there aren't that many photos considered authentic of the author of Come on in my Kitchen....

So, anyone actually held it in their hands and thought of heading down to the Crossroads with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jwieties View Post
    I just got it last night. It's excellent. Believable renditions of some incredible music. The ukulele translates these songs well. One observation is that many of these songs are in the same key and have a similar structure. That's good and bad. Once you learn some of the riffs, many of the songs sound very similar, but you do quickly learn a lot of songs and you really get to explore a couple keys in detail. You do have to be familiar with the music. There are songs were the notes are sparse and it is all about syncopation, timing and feel.

Definitely recommend.
    Good point about knowing the syncopation. I've had it for a while and haven't gotten around to focusing on it, except the first song or so. Looking forward to getting into it when I have a little more time.

Thread Information